Thread: BenQ SW271 27-Inch Monitor Review: Nearly Perfect for $ 1.100

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 BenQ SW271 27-Inch Monitor Review: Nearly Perfect for $ 1.100 
    It's only UHD, but it supports sRGB, AdobeRGB, DCI-P3 and HDR10 and since most of us don't shoot for the cinema this looks like a really good editing/grading monitor for the price.

https://www.benq.com/en/monitor/photographer/sw271.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...itor,5785.html

Their support of HDR10 is a bit qualified. It's REC2020 color gamut is not bad, but its 350nit max brightness is clearly below the 1000nits that people think of when they think of HDR10. But that really is the only ding I see against an otherwise high-performance monitor at a reasonable cost point.

My FSI DM240 is only 1080p and also has a high-end NIT limit of around 350-450, but I've really come to appreciate the many bundled scopes and tools that help speed up the grading process for me.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    but its 350nit max brightness is clearly below the 1000nits that people think of when they think of HDR10.
    That is a very good write down "that people think".

A monitor in a darkened (grading room) producing 1000 nits will make you blind.
    A TV in a living room with sun reflections hiting the TV-screen producing 1000 nits is to weak to give a bright and clear image.

It's all relative, going from avg. 85 to peak 340 nits with a grading monitor is 2 stops and the same counts for a TV going from avg. 300 to peak 1200 nits.