Thread: Red Helium Smallest Possible Rig

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    RodClaw is cool but it's not very anchored. If you're using FF motors then the torque of the motor with flex the mount and it won't really work. But it wasn't designed for that - and hanging mics and stuff, it's perfect for that.

I'd recommend the mini hawks wood batteries, the red mini v lock is just too low powered for any practical use IMHO.

I use a simple manfrotto base and then a bunch of quick release plates (small rig) to bounce between shoulder, monopod, tripod quickly. I have a PD Movie wireless FF, Paralinx Ace and that's as compact as i can make it really.

Will see if i can find some photos

cheers
    Paul
    It will absolutely work just fine with a lens motor. A single lens motor isn't going to overpower the way it is mounted to the camera body. But for a small setup absolutely no reason to use lens motors anyways. Wooden Camera zip focus is perfect with the rodClaw. The rubber friction wheel that comes with the Zip focus works really well with Sigma art photo lenses.

And I use the Redvolt-Vs all the time. They are perfectly practical and bring the weight down massively.

I wanna see someone with the Jetpack expander, Vlock battery belt pack, and a tactical chest rig full of Redvolt-Vs ready to do tactical reloads haha.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    It will absolutely work just fine with a lens motor. A single lens motor isn't going to overpower the way it is mounted to the camera body. But for a small setup absolutely no reason to use lens motors anyways. Wooden Camera zip focus is perfect with the rodClaw. The rubber friction wheel that comes with the Zip focus works really well with Sigma art photo lenses.

And I use the Redvolt-Vs all the time. They are perfectly practical and bring the weight down massively.
    I have a RodClaw and can absolutely state that it's not working with lens motors very well, i tried for days! The issue is nothing to do with the RodClaw as such, just physics. The RodClaw attaches using tiny M3 screws into the base. Put a rod on that and a motor near the lens and there is so much flex between the mounting point and the motor that the whole motor will flex and jump out when there's any torque. You can see the whole rod wobble around. The only way really is the usual two rods. I find that not only do you add the rods but also add another rod clamp at the end of both of that - two clamps working together give a stable base for a motor.

cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Brock S. View Post
    Trying to create a super compact rig and was wanting to see what accessories (3rd party or 1st) to help keep things as compact as possible including handles and batteries. Anyone wanna throw up some pics of what that looks like for your builds?
    Need more information than this. Follow focus? Off camera monitoring? Lens Mount? Lock down or handheld?
    Otherwise Brain, 4.7" Monitor, Canon EF pancake lens, V-Lock Battery Module / REDvolt V and Sidekick. Done
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

I have a Scarlet-W brain, Vlock I/O, Redvolt V, Sigma 18-35 (50-100), 7" DSMC2 display, Side Handle and screw in filters from Polar Pro. And I absolutely love that rig! Light in hands and in the backpack
    KAREL ŠIMŮNEK fan of RED :)

I recently made this little backpack which I will put all of my batteries and accessories on for certain run and gun situations. I bundle all the cords into one tether that runs along the hip strap to the camera. Cables running to camera are power, sdi, motor cable, and maybe a separate bnc for time code/genlock sometimes. Then I just have a camera with a lens, small monitor, light weight rods, motor and spider grips. It fits nice and tight to your back and is very light. Doesn't wiggle at all either. The pack is military surplus too so it's only like...40-60 bucks.