Thread: Red Helium Smallest Possible Rig

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Red Helium Smallest Possible Rig 
    Trying to create a super compact rig and was wanting to see what accessories (3rd party or 1st) to help keep things as compact as possible including handles and batteries. Anyone wanna throw up some pics of what that looks like for your builds?
    -Brock Smith

The most compact rig I can think of:

Brain, V-Lock IO, Redvolt-V, DSMC2 Side handle, 4.7" monitor on top.

From Jason Shelton:

No top handle lets you fold the monitor down flat for transport.

Smaller mattebox: Wooden camera zip box
    Even smaller: Lens hood and round filters

What other functionality might you need in a rig?

Same as mentioned above. V-Lock IO expander with Revolt-Vs is about as compact as it gets.

Here I am also using the RodClaw to mount a mic, follow-focus, whatever, but of course that could be removed to make it even smaller. As well as the top handle to fold up the display to put in a bag. Works great.

Still dreaming about a Redvolt-V that is twice as thick with around 90Wh..

Something else I have done is using only the top handle and 4.7 screen on camera, with the Jetpack expander, and the battery belt clip in a backpack or at your hip.

Does anyone know if the DSMC2 V-Lock Module Pro would also shrink the depth a little when compared to the V-Lock IO? I personally need my SDI's so I didn't even think of that as an option for the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    Still dreaming about a Redvolt-V that is twice as thick with around 90Wh...
    Hypercore Mini, Dynacore Mini, Hawk-Woods Mini, or BlueShape Mini?

with the exception of a 7" monitor instead of the 4.7" I run a rig like Aaron Lochert fir run & gun and documentary stuff.
    It's just like running around with a medium format stills camera like I'm used too.

Over the shoulder camera bag w a Sigma 18-35 and 50-100 stills lenses, a few Core 98wh small batts and I'm all set!

Curtis
    ---------------------------
    Curtis Boggs
    www.cboggs.com

Cinematographer-DP-Colorist
    Epic-W 8k - G&E
    Sigma Cinema zoom set
    Leica-R Cine mod prime set

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    Does anyone know if the DSMC2 V-Lock Module Pro would also shrink the depth a little when compared to the V-Lock IO? I personally need my SDI's so I didn't even think of that as an option for the OP.

Hypercore Mini, Dynacore Mini, Hawk-Woods Mini, or BlueShape Mini?
    Yes those are options, but because my brain knows that Redvolt-Vs exist at the perfect shape and size I prefer them instead haha.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    Here I am also using the RodClaw to mount a mic, follow-focus, whatever, but of course that could be removed to make it even smaller. As well as the top handle to fold up the display to put in a bag. Works great..
    RodClaw is cool but it's not very anchored. If you're using FF motors then the torque of the motor with flex the mount and it won't really work. But it wasn't designed for that - and hanging mics and stuff, it's perfect for that.

I'd recommend the mini hawks wood batteries, the red mini v lock is just too low powered for any practical use IMHO.

I use a simple manfrotto base and then a bunch of quick release plates (small rig) to bounce between shoulder, monopod, tripod quickly. I have a PD Movie wireless FF, Paralinx Ace and that's as compact as i can make it really.

Will see if i can find some photos

cheers
    Paul

Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    The most compact rig I can think of:

Brain, V-Lock IO, Redvolt-V, DSMC2 Side handle, 4.7" monitor on top.
    From Jason Shelton:

No top handle lets you fold the monitor down flat for transport.

Smaller mattebox: Wooden camera zip box
    Even smaller: Lens hood and round filters
    What other functionality might you need in a rig?
    I've added a left handle personnally, but I use the same setup on one man jobs. You can still fold the 4.7" monitor.
    Depending on the shot, I mount my top handle backwards too (for low angle shots).

You can be lighter with a Jetpack and a Vlock Belt., but then you wont be balanced.

With a Sidekick Latitude you can also have an AC focusing, just remember to disable the side handle.
    The cool thing about the i/o Vlock, is the D-tap is functionning even on external power. That's is a understated spec.
    Bérenger B. Brillante
    --Director Showreel--

If you really want to go small, outside of what's been shown with compact batteries, aim for pancake lenses and screw on NDs. You can rig in the 6-7lb range. Also, as I am biased and created the rodClaw, you can use a single rod follow focus unit on that like the Wooden Camera Zip Focus which adds about a 1lb into the equation with a carbon fiber rod.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis boggs View Post
    I run a rig like Aaron Lochert fir run & gun and documentary stuff.
    Oh, that's not my setup. That's fellow reduser Jason Shelton's.

Mine is a little larger, so I'm not sure if it's that relevant to the topic:

I keep the monitor mounted to a small 15mm rail so I can quickly disconnect it and throw it on the end of a zacuto z-arm when I need.

No side handle, but I run/gun with this sometimes by holding the top handle (which has a rec start/stop) and anchoring the battery against my chest.

I do have a Nucleus-M so I'm considering replacing the top handle with a bracket and two handgrips left and right of the camera, GDU cowboy style. I also want to buy a KipperTie Revolva so I'd have to remove the top handle anyway because of how it attaches to the top plate. Then I could also do without the mattebox and use a lens hood for more run/gun gigs. At that point, I'd probably grab some mini batteries since the top handle would be gone, the battery would be the last thing sticking up so high above the camera body.