Thread: Bright REDs

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Bright REDs 
    Anyone have some insight on how to fix REDs red problem? Every camera they make seems to have this really harsh issue where bright reds turn yellow. I know this is common in many cameras when the red channel clips and color quality cannot be maintained, but it's pretty bad on my Gemini. I know this was a big issue on my Helium in IPP1 that got fixed with IPP2 for all colors except red and hoped the extra highlight range would help further on Gemini, but just had a shoot where I was constantly trying to frame out red lights because they looked so messed up and wrong even in ISO800 standard mode. It always seems especially weird when I go to the red store in NYC and point any of their cameras at their big backlit RED logo and it looks bright yellow and gross. There must be a fix for this. I know this is the most common obvious color issue I see even in big budget movies and even on Arri, but it's quite bad on RED's cameras and I wish there was an easy fix for it (I'm always a little surprised when TV shows and Movies don't grade it out). I suppose there could be a LUT that would fix or desaturate colors of that saturation and luma level? Seems crazy there isnt a way to fix it in RED's standard workflow/SDK.
    Noah Yuan-Vogel | noahyv.com

+1

I know the subject's been discussed before, but I'm wondering where things stand now-days in regard to the red highlight issue.

What is (still) happening exactly to cause the loss of colour fidelity, even with the newer sensors, and is there a way now to prevent or remedy it that maybe wasn't available before?

To the layman it seems a bit strange that there isn't a way to fix the issue in post with something like the DRX slider or DEB (Dragon Enhanced Blacks) button in RCX.

Please post an R3D so we can all see the specific case you are talking about. R3D will show whether R channel is clipped and how the R and G data behave in the condition you mention.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

I find all digital camera do not render red correctly. the luminance is too high. Alexa also is horrible in its presentation of reds. Search for the Yedlin saturation adjustment.