Thread: Recommended carry-on compatible bags or backpacks for a fully assembled DSMC2 rig...

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Recommended carry-on compatible bags or backpacks for a fully assembled DSMC2 rig... 
    Any recommended carry-on compatible bags or backpacks that will fit an assembled, ready-to-shoot, DSMC2 rig?

The configuration includes:

* WC NATO Top Handle (Plus)
    * WC Side Handle
    * DSMC2 EVF mounted to the EVF Mount on the Operator's side
    * DSMC2 V-Lock I/O Expander Module
    * RED Brick (if safe to leave on the camera)
    * Sigma ART 35mm Lens
    * Genus Matte Box

Measures around 10.5 inches in height.

We need something that will provide instant deployment.

I have a Lowepro ProTactic 450 AW. It's probably my most comfortable backpack and I have backpacks that cost a lot more. It's perfect. It fits an assembled DSMC2 camera and fits under an airline seat. It comes with every feature and accessory you could want. I keep mine with the 7" DSMC2 screen mounted, but a DSMC2 EVF would fit even better. Just make sure you're not buying a knock-off. I liked mine so much I bought a second one off of ebay and it was an obvious fake. One of the very few times I haven't gotten my money back from eBay.

You should really ditch those Red Bricks. I don't know why anyone uses them anymore. They're huge, bad dimensions for DSMC2 and have to be re-celled frequently. I have Dynacore DM 155S batteries, but there are others that will last for more cycles.

I also recommend getting a Motion Mount. It pretty much eliminates the need for a matte box. They're a must-buy at the price they're going for used nowadays.

Atlas pack - adventure model. Most comfortable bag you will wear with a crazy amount of space.

https://atlaspacks.com/collections/a...amera-backpack

I use various versions of F-Stop packs. They always work even the Shinn on regional jets. Generally I run with the Tilopa. 100% of the time I'm told it's to big, and 100% of the time it fits.

If you run an F-Stop their ICU system is great for planes. Bit of advice though, is try and keep your bag at a bit of a distance or a non-viewable angle from the Check in agents as they'll always try to get you to check it and sometimes not issue a ticket regardless if it will fit. New Zealand and Virgin Australia are the worst for this as I learned on a recent trip with the Tilopa.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Loewe View Post
    I use various versions of F-Stop packs. They always work even the Shinn on regional jets. Generally I run with the Tilopa. 100% of the time I'm told it's to big, and 100% of the time it fits.

If you run an F-Stop their ICU system is great for planes. Bit of advice though, is try and keep your bag at a bit of a distance or a non-viewable angle from the Check in agents as they'll always try to get you to check it and sometimes not issue a ticket regardless if it will fit. New Zealand and Virgin Australia are the worst for this as I learned on a recent trip with the Tilopa.
    Oh hadn't seen these before. These all look fantastic.

Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    Lowe Pro Pro runner RL 450 AW II. It has wheels and is a back pack. Its perfect. Dynacore 155s here too. Montion mount here too. PL lenses.
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV

Big fan of F-stop bags, amazingly durable and functional bits of kit. I use the Ajna and Tilopa as a carry on solution, but I reckon you would need to look at the bigger ones, Shinn or the in between size (70L) with a deeper ICU, height would be the issue with the smaller bags if you want to leave your top handle on.

had my Tenba 32L backpack for a few years, it has gone all over the world with me. It's big, and gets very heavy because I load it with lenses and my built camera.
    Metal frame makes it very sturdy
    Alexa Mini
    Epic Dragon - SOLD
    Scarlet Dragon - SOLD
    Scarlet MX - SOLD
    RED One MX - SOLD

DP // Director
    www.jakesouthardcinema.com
    https://vimeo.com/jakesouthardcinema/videos

Fstop back packs rule. The Anja is TSA approved. https://fstopgear.com/products/packs/ajna
    A Peter Strietmann
    plaidass1@mac.com
    [url]https://peterstrietmann.com

"Read or bleed people, learn or burn."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kiritz View Post
    I have a Lowepro ProTactic 450 AW. It's probably my most comfortable backpack and I have backpacks that cost a lot more. It's perfect. It fits an assembled DSMC2 camera and fits under an airline seat. It comes with every feature and accessory you could want. I keep mine with the 7" DSMC2 screen mounted, but a DSMC2 EVF would fit even better. Just make sure you're not buying a knock-off. I liked mine so much I bought a second one off of ebay and it was an obvious fake. One of the very few times I haven't gotten my money back from eBay.

You should really ditch those Red Bricks. I don't know why anyone uses them anymore. They're huge, bad dimensions for DSMC2 and have to be re-celled frequently. I have Dynacore DM 155S batteries, but there are others that will last for more cycles.

I also recommend getting a Motion Mount. It pretty much eliminates the need for a matte box. They're a must-buy at the price they're going for used nowadays.

Who makes the top handle you are using? It looks to be low-profile enough to be able to close the bag with it still attached...
    Paul Kalbach

RED Weapon-Helium#4580, RedOne-MX #1693, RedOne-MX #10062

www.ArtichokePro.com
    www.RedZephyrCam.com