Thread: G-technology - Is it really a premium storage product??

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 G-technology - Is it really a premium storage product?? 
    Hey guys, So a bunch of us no doubt use Gtech drives for post. As a brand I really like them and of course they are marketed towards the production market. That said has anyone ever had to deal with their support services in the instance of a failure or issue?

I'm 7 days into a drive failure on a brand new GRAID 16TB TB3 enclosure and only just one day ago where gtechnology able to get my claim in to the system due to technical issues. Thats 7 days of radio silence. Once in the system I've been told a replacement drive will take 2 weeks to ship to me.

Two weeks!??? Really? For a premium product this support seems sub-par to me.

Am i being ridiculous expecting more? I've tried to reach out to some Gtech induviduals via linkedin to escalate but have heard nada. These days its getting exceedingly more difficult to talk with those who can make things happen.

Has anyone else experienced this with Gtech? For a brand I use and really like I'm just wanting to know my investment in data on their products is worthwhile moving forward. Meanwhile my data is at risk and moving 8TB of data around is scary and time consuming enough to ensure its still safe.

Functional and sexy products attract customers while poor support usually repels them.

Hoping this isn't a common experience.

Well they are owned by WD, so depending on what drive is in it then you can look up the drive failure statistics. After only 7 days I'm sure its covered under warranty. I wouldn't call it a premium product, it's more of a higher end prosumer/small shop product. Nothing terrible against it but its not a full fledged server rack company with 24/7/365 support that you pay big bucks for and expect that level of support from.
    Chad Lancaster
    ICON Motion Pictures

The Southwest
    www.thesouthwestfilm.com
    www.fb.com/thesouthwestfilm
    Instagram: https://goo.gl/6cElQF

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Lancaster View Post
    its not a full fledged server rack company with 24/7/365 support that you pay big bucks for and expect that level of support from.
    Totally agree with you there.

I was in IT 16 years before filmmaking and next day replacement was just he norm. Of course, that is not realistic in this situation.
    But I think a 4 day turnaround is not asking too much. After all data storage is what they do, right?

The brand is pitched so hard as a premium professional brand:

At G-Technology® we design some of the highest-performing and most reliable leading-edge storage solutions for end-to-end creative workflows.
    From small portable and rugged drives to large, multi-bay RAID and NAS solutions, G-Technology – a Western Digital Corporation brand – is the powerful, premium storage solutions company focused on meeting the demanding requirements of the media and entertainment industry.

A 14-21 day turn around for a simple bare drive replacement seems pretty ridiculous to me and in no way reflects "demanding requirements".

So is this the norm for Gtech support? I know. Stuff fails. Its life. Just trying to gauge the situation.

Right now if I was to recommend Gtech to someone I'd say:

"Performance is great. Product feels and looks premium. But if something goes wrong your up the creek without a paddle. So if you want to be safe by two of everything cause you'll be waiting a while."

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Townend View Post
    Totally agree with you there.

A 14-21 day turn around for a simple bare drive replacement seems pretty ridiculous to me and in no way reflects "demanding requirements".

So is this the norm for Gtech support? I know. Stuff fails. Its life. Just trying to gauge the situation.

Right now if I was to recommend Gtech to someone I'd say:

"Performance is great. Product feels and looks premium. But if something goes wrong your up the creek without a paddle. So if you want to be safe by two of everything cause you'll be waiting a while."
    The radio silence sounds familiar.
    I saw this change in their tech support as early as 2009 which was around the time they were bought out.
    It took me over a month to get a drive fixed (firewire port blew out) that was under warranty.

I think Gtech is largely floating on past reputation and not actual service.
    Things likely changed after they were bought out.

I actually have much better service with a company like OWC particularly regarding storage and the like.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA

Thanks for the feedback Brian.

Glad to give the feedback.
    That was the last Gtech drive I bought as the values associated with the name didn't match.
    Maybe more from the community can share these experiences and we can email them the thread.
    I'm sure, like many companies, there are people at Gtech who care.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA

I have generally had good luck with G-Tech drives, but they're far from the best servers out there, even for small-scale post. Just today I had to update the software for a G-Tech Shuttle, and several of the support links on their own website are dead. That ain't a good sign. I got the thing up and running, but it was in spite of them, not because of them. Finding documentation on the website is also an exercise in frustration.

Having said that, on the rare occasions I've run into trouble, the support people I've dealt with on the phone have been pretty good and responsive. And I have not run into a catastrophic failure (yet).
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Never had any issues with support from G-Tech. I have really liked their Shuttle TB3 RAID setups. I had one unit with an initial drive failure and was able to get a replacement in a reasonable amount of time with no nonsense from their support people. And the support people definitely knew how the device actually worked and weren't just going through a standard checklist of things to ask. Pretty standard RMA procedure.

I think you are definitely being a bit ridiculous. You aren't really paying a premium with their products and you definitely aren't paying for 24/7 support and immediate replacements.

"reached out to some Gtech individuals via linkedin to escalate"..

wtf.

i'd echo most of the above, they are not "premium" by 2018 standards, if you need NEED 24/7 there's options, not cheap tho.. Gtech does not really play in that world, prosumer seems more the target audience

i've had DiT's love them, want them, order them.. all good, that's really a disposable, amorted to a given film not a long term working tool

i would not place them in my racks, prefering to use real solid server class solutions, in my case Dell MD arrays on SAS, but the MD's would be a disaster on set where the prosumer focused Gtech shines

the first thing i do is pull every byte of data off the Gtech and put it on something more stable, solid and fast, mothball the Gtech array untill the show is done, and send it back to production, i just do not trust them as far can throw them, and i can't throw them very far ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    I think you are definitely being a bit ridiculous. You aren't really paying a premium with their products and you definitely aren't paying for 24/7 support and immediate replacements.
    wtf.
    Ridiculous andrewhake? I dont think so. 24/7 Support? Never mentioned or expect that from them. Maybe you should re-read my post.

"able to get a replacement in a reasonable amount of time"
    What do you classify as reasonable amount of time?

A single basic hard drive replacement in 4 days? Totally realistic. 3 weeks. Bollocks.

Dermot, Agree they are not server class. but FWIW the marketing spin is real hence this conversation to get the real lay of the land when it comes to what I do moving forward.
    Last edited by Shaun Townend; 10-07-2018 at 01:49 PM.