Thread: G-technology - Is it really a premium storage product??

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Townend View Post
    Hey guys, So a bunch of us no doubt use Gtech drives for post. As a brand I really like them and of course they are marketed towards the production market. That said has anyone ever had to deal with their support services in the instance of a failure or issue?

I'm 7 days into a drive failure on a brand new GRAID 16TB TB3 enclosure and only just one day ago where gtechnology able to get my claim in to the system due to technical issues. Thats 7 days of radio silence. Once in the system I've been told a replacement drive will take 2 weeks to ship to me.

Two weeks!??? Really? For a premium product this support seems sub-par to me.

Am i being ridiculous expecting more? I've tried to reach out to some Gtech induviduals via linkedin to escalate but have heard nada. These days its getting exceedingly more difficult to talk with those who can make things happen.

Has anyone else experienced this with Gtech? For a brand I use and really like I'm just wanting to know my investment in data on their products is worthwhile moving forward. Meanwhile my data is at risk and moving 8TB of data around is scary and time consuming enough to ensure its still safe.

Functional and sexy products attract customers while poor support usually repels them.

Hoping this isn't a common experience.
    When you buy a raid-system always buy atleast one spare drive.
    When you run it as JBOD or raid-5 you're playing with fire (you might loose a lot of data at some time).

Atleast 1 of every 300 spinning drives breakdown within a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    When you buy a raid-system always buy atleast one spare drive.
    When you run it as JBOD or raid-5 you're playing with fire (you might loose a lot of data at some time).

Atleast 1 of every 300 spinning drives breakdown within a year.
    True. Everything breaks. This is more about after sales support though and if it matches up with the Premium tagline.
    Last edited by Shaun Townend; 10-08-2018 at 12:43 AM.

REDuser Sponsor
    I agree that you should always have a spare drive sitting around for your RAID. G-Tech uses Hitachi drives inside, which are pretty solid.

If you need Thunderbolt, then I'd suggest getting Areca and using your own drives instead of being forced into G-Tech drives.
    Tim Gerhard
    MagStor LTO Systems
    614-433-0011 x114
    www.magstor.com
    tgerhard@magnext.com

4. #14 What's in a name? 
    Count me as an interested party in this subject. I swore by G-Tech from 2006-2113 but haven't bought a new one since. Didn't have any major problems, just started balking at the cost vs drives that tested just as well. I also found some decent tool less enclosures and deals on bare drives too good to resist.

IAC, these days, I live on those little Samsung external SSDs with USB-C port. R/W is typically around 500MB/s (30GB/min, 1TB/32min) which is a good match for current bus standards, RedMag read speed, etc. Sure, there are some much faster solutions (M.2 RAIDs anyone), but all of them have a penalty - cost, TDP, size, RAID overhead - that I'm only willing to bear when I'm damn sure the rest of the system can take proper advantage.

Perhaps the more interesting discussion is where the various options fall these days in terms of price/performance ratios. Around the time that NLEs became ubiquitous, G-Tech siezed the market for professional media creators who needed something better than off the shelf consumer products engineered primarily for low cost, and the heavy duty RAIDs used in facilities with IT support. Since then, the number of storage system vendors at shows like NAB, HD Expo, etc has gone off the chain.

What I see now is a messy marketplace where you may, or may not, get your money's worth. Many established brands have changed ownership in the background, then simply milked the brand equity. Is that what WD did with G-Tech? I don't have enough data to know the answer to that, but, it does seem to be a popular tactic these days.

Cheers - #19

Upfront, I am a G-Tech reseller. I have been for about a decade.

The reason on their reputation was so strong was that they used HGST drives. Then they were bought by HGST. If you look at the BackBlaze Long term Hard drives stats, HGST has by far the most minimal failure rate.

HGST was bought by WD. Most of the high end WD drives are built on the HGST technology. And those are still the drives used in G-Tech drives.

I have sold and used hundreds, maybe thousands of G-Tech drives for years. Yes some fail out of the box. That sucks. It’s why you should always do a hard drive test before putting into production.

We test all our drives, RAM, SSDs, etc.. before putting them into service. That said, when it comes to HDDs/SSDs, they’re just like any other complex system in that a test only shows that it was functional at the time of the test and does not guarantee that it will work the next time. ;)

I’ve found over the years that every drive maker has had their lemons or problematic models or series of drives. HGST has been the best for us with WD being second best. The others — Toshiba, Fuji, Seagate, Samsung... Are usually all somewhat comparable and I try to avoid where I can. Seagates seem to be either really bad or really good with not much middle ground and it varies by each model or series. I wait for the reviews and see what people think 6 months into use before jumping on a new Seagate drive series.

I have had a lot of issues with external units from various makers and it’s often not the drives themselves that fail, but the enclosures or interfaces within.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Have any of you ever used Glyph drives? They are marketing to professionals with a great warranty and advanced replacement on most drives. Also it looks as if they do data recovery as part of their warranty. I’ve used them on a couple dit jobs and they are built like tanks.
    https://www.glyphtech.com/warranty.html
    David Callahan
    Resolute Visuals
    www.resolutevisuals.tv

I needed to choose from 5 different Storage companies to take care of my HD & SSD data needs, and at the end despite G-Tech offered the list amount of $$$$ to Product, I choose them as my Sponsor because in the past decade I never had a single G-Tech drive fail me, while few of the others I used did.

As for the possibility of failure with G-Tech, well, there is always that chance as with every other manufacturer, yet I can honestly back them up to be great.

As for the critical data large Data Center type of storage, there are companies that have far better everything than G-Tech, but then again, G-Tech is not really meant for that type of gargantuan instals.

But again, for daily & mid term storage within and up to few hundred Terabytes G-Tech is really the best. Once you go to Petabytes * Exabytes than is when I would honestly choose some one else top build me a Data Center.

@David — I have had some recent issues with Glyph. Not going to air out my laundry here, but I won’t be buying from them again.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Speaking of G-Tech, what do we have to do to get a TB3 version of the EV Dock? Still slumming it with TB1 !