Thread: gimbal recommendations

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 gimbal recommendations 
    Hello,

In the market for a new gimbal. I have had the original full size Ronin for some time. It appears that what's out there currently is pretty polarized. Freefly and DJI have taken that kinda 10ish lbs weight class and either made available the Ronin ii or the movi pro, both well over the 6000$ range and on the flip side have the m5 or the ronin mx which seem like they could do around 10lbs, don't really seem like a good option. So just wondering if anyone has a gimbal they like these days? I usually use it for a completely stripped down fs7 or something similar and also mirrorless cameras.

thx
    dan

For mirrorless and DSLR I've been using the Zhiyun Crane 2 and have been very happy with it. The Crane 3 is expected next month and has a very different design which looks like it might be nice. Pre-release numbers say it will carry 4.5 kgs. I'm anxious to see if it will fly my Scarlet-W stripped down.

I love the MoviPro its really reliable and lightweight, but the ronin 2 can support heavier equipment.
    Instagram: @rv12
    Vimeo: @rv12

I would like to see a new Ronin 1. Ronin 2 is really heavy but it can take a monstro with CZ.2 zoom lens without a problem. Ronin 1 just takes primes but is much easier to work with on an Easyrig because of less weight.

Ronin 2 is heavy, but currently my favorite gimbal.

It's not just that it can support a heavy payload, it's also got:

Sdi passthrough
    Locks for every axis
    inverts in less than a minute
    Power everything off the included batteries.

It's the best thought out gimbal I've used so far.

I still use the original ronin with extension arms!

I know the Movi Pro is expensive. But it's definitely worth it. I made the jump from a Ronin 1 recently and haven't looked back.
    Cinematographer, London
    Scarlet-W

www.joshbirchfilms.com
    Reel: https://vimeo.com/290364493

Check out Letus Helix.
    Scarlet Dragon
    Scarlet-W

http://www.letus35.com/letus-helix-pro/

Something that doesn't break the bank and yet, compact and versatile. The Helix PRO now power via V-lock battery.

We bought a used Movi 15 for $1500 earlier this year and a ReadyRig to carry it, and it works great with our DSMC 1 with a Sigma lens.

Stephen
    Scarlet Dragon with Canon, Sigma, and Tokina lenses and the Optitron 2 wireless focus system
    First feature film, Works in Progress, out on DVD (Vanguard Cinema) and online.
    Second feature film, the miniseries Terminal, currently available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8RQ488
    Third feature film, The Tree, currently available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JJ179RP
    Fourth feature film, The Land, currently under review at film festivals around the world.