Thread: ALEXA MINI vs GEMINI

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    One reason no one has done a test is that it is very hard and complex to do an "accurate" camera comparison. Comparative tests are difficult and even with something as simple as a dynamic range test the result can be different if you alter a single parameter. Just change the colour temperature of the light source or even the subject matter itself and the result can change. Different workflows and post processing also muddy the waters. I would consider both cameras to be excellent performers with each camera just nudging ahead in different areas but on balance quite similar. I think the questions you need to ask is whether your commercial clients have any preferences? Does the type of work you do play to the strength of the camera?
    You seriously need to consider your ROI and your future camera direction. Personally I would be happy to own an Arri camera but in recent years I stayed with Red and went Monstro as the Full frame gives me a point of difference. As important is the mature age of the Arri Chip which was released back in 2010. While it is still a first class sensor you can be sure Arri will be replacing it in the next few years and I doubt the Mini will be upgradable. I suspect that the value and demand for the Mini will plummet with the arrival of the next generation Arri sensors. If considering a Mini I would go second hand if you can get a good price.
    Tom Gleeson

I want to say that Jake has a point about color shift in under/over and correct exposure. I believe Monstro is on a par with Alexa vis a vis this but I will also say that I dealt with this issue with 35mm film forever. If you shot a scene and had good exposure and then for a couple of shots under exposed you had color shift in facial tones that was very hard to correct in timing.

Also I have wanted to do an Alexa and Monstro test for a long time. Keslow will give me both cameras and lenses and AKS but I need to ask my post colorist brothers and sisters to help in the DI of the test. Maybe I can pull this off early in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyons Collister, ASC View Post
    I want to say that Jake has a point about color shift in under/over and correct exposure. I believe Monstro is on a par with Alexa vis a vis this but I will also say that I dealt with this issue with 35mm film forever. If you shot a scene and had good exposure and then for a couple of shots under exposed you had color shift in facial tones that was very hard to correct in timing.

Also I have wanted to do an Alexa and Monstro test for a long time. Keslow will give me both cameras and lenses and AKS but I need to ask my post colorist brothers and sisters to help in the DI of the test. Maybe I can pull this off early in 2019
    Can’t wait for that Peter! Would love to see the regular alexa and the LF vs Monstro!
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Miro View Post
    I want to see a comparison between the two cameras... no one has adequately done it yet. It's driving me crazy. I want to see it. NOBODY has done it. some have done low light comparisons, but i want to see full color/highlight comparison etc... just 1v1. Anyone up for the challenge?

i can't make the plunge from my epic-w without seeing this comparison.
    They are very close with highlight performance in terms of DR at Gemini's normal gain and Gemini wipes the floor with Mini in low light.
    http://i68.tinypic.com/drcb4y.jpg

Analog > Camera feel optimization http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Camera performance optimization http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Miro View Post
    I want to see a comparison between the two cameras... no one has adequately done it yet. It's driving me crazy. I want to see it. NOBODY has done it. some have done low light comparisons, but i want to see full color/highlight comparison etc... just 1v1. Anyone up for the challenge?

i can't make the plunge from my epic-w without seeing this comparison.
    the question is why do you want to see this comparison?
    What do you need to compare with Alexa? Do your customers want Alexa's look?
    If so, you have to buy ALexa.
    If you are trying to have the same color rendering is impossible, the colors will always be different in different light situations.
    Or do you need to know who is better in DR and noise?
    Grading Suite Davinci Resolve, Rental RED Digital camera.
    MONSTRO 8k CF #831 "BLACK PEARL"
    SCARLET-W #45 "HEIDI " , EPIC-W GEMINI # "DAFNE".
    ARRI ALEXA EV , ALEXA MINI

SITE
    www.cine5k.ch

www.rsi.ch