Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED Epic-MX still a viable camera??

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 RED Epic-MX still a viable camera?? 
    I wanted to get the opinions of the group here on something I have been considering. I have been looking at getting a new updated cinema camera. I sold my Sony F3, loved it but it was time to go, and I am looking for a replacement. I really dont want to go back with Sony because they dont have everything I want within the budget I have in mind. I was looking at a knitted out Blackmagic URSA mini pro and a Kinefinity Terra 4K since both are around the same price range. Both have some quirks about them that I'm not real crazy about but no camera is perfect. I noticed that a knitted out RED Epic-MX goes for around the same price range and a little more. I do like that the Epic has way more features than either of the other two and the workflow is loads easier. I called RED and they said that they no longer supply parts or offer service for the MX series cameras because it is to old. My question is since RED no longer supports the Epic-MX would it still be a viable camera for commercial and narrative productions? Are parts fairly easy to source online from repair places or individuals? Any suggestions or words of wisdom on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Paul

Not hard to find secondhand parts for a RED Epic, which with its older age (thus lower price) probably is a wiser idea than splurging out on buying expensive new parts for it anyway.
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

I've been using a Epic-MX since 2012 and plan to keep working it till it bricks itself. Since learning that Red won't repair their older cameras any more has kept me awake a few nights. I even bought a Sony A7R III as a Hail Mary 4k backup in case my Epic does stop working, but then comparing 4k from the Sony with the Red is night and day. The Epic is clearly superior. Get you one with low-hours and you're in good hands.
    The Crossing Trailer for upcoming acid western inspired by the world of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian.
    https://vimeo.com/105448633

The Lonely Moan
    http://vimeo.com/33643688

Dead Lonesome A film about Ghost Towns and the Mystique of the Western Landscape filmed in 35mm. http://vimeo.com/6874360

people are really being fed alot of bull crap about upgrading cameras red has built a business on the need of people always wanting something new...lol they make you think upgrading your camera every year is a good thing but this not true
    if you take the bait and upgrade your camera just because something new came out you are forfeiting all the thousands of dollars you have invested just to have a new camera
    I think people are forgetting that major feature films has been shot on the red epic mx and the red dragon cameras but red de-value their own previous cameras by not providing repair service and parts which scares you into buying a new red camera from them to stay current and protected red uses a strange marketing tactic by saying they will not support previous cameras
    but by spending 50,000 dollars on a red camera than they drop the price of the camera within a year it make you wonder are those cameras really worth upgrading to a new camera that don't really hold any value ??? I think red makes great cameras but I think if red don't start appreciating their customers more it will hurt their business in the future. yes invest into new or used camera but don't make spending alot of money on these new camera or upgrading your camera every year a habit.
    Last edited by shawn prince; 10-10-2018 at 04:44 AM.

I own an old (2011) MX camera that I shoot next to my Helium quite a bit. It still holds its own. I think this is overlooked often, but what you get with a RED camera (even the venerable RED One) is that they shoot compressed RAW. The color science improvements since the early days have been nothing short of astounding. I will take .R3D over what you are getting out of a Sony any day. I will admit that owning a camera I might not be able to get fixed anymore is a bit of a scare, but that's part of the risk calculation. If you are new to RED and want to learn the ins and outs I think getting a trusty old MX is a good way to go. The prices are super low for what you get in terms of performance. It ain't the latest and greatest but if you can keep yourself from getting caught up in that mindset you will be fine. If you get a job and the client wants the bigger or supposedly better sensor, then rent it. You will at that point be much better prepared to work its magic because of your experiences with the MX. As always, YMMV.
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 Version 2
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

MX sensor, if exposed properly with quality light, is the most cinematic image yet to come from a RED...

MX is light hungry, feed it loads of high quality light, u won't be disappointed...

At the same time, the sensor has issues with low quality light and mixed light... That has a little bit improved with color science
    Display Profiling & Calibration Tools: DisplayCalibrationTools.com

Paul,

Reach out to Red support and ask them directly about MX support. As I understand Red is more than happy to repair MX cameras with the caveat some components are no longer being made and when the inventory is empty they won't be able to replace that component. I am unaware of any MX cameras not being able to be repaired yet but the day will come when some components will not be available. Might also be worth asking here on Reduser if any cameras have been knocked back yet?
    Tom Gleeson

This is what the RED customer service wrote me when I asked about servicing MX cameras :-(

"Hi Paul,

Thank you for contacting RED Support. Unfortunately the EPIC-X MYSTERIUM-X camera has been discontinued for an extended period of time and repair parts are no longer available. We are unable to service your camera, and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Feel free to check out RED's Authorized Dealers to see if one might be offering a trade-in program for this camera model.
    Cheers,

Chelsea | Product Support
    Phone: +1-949-206-7900 Option 3"

9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Please do not post direct communications between Red and customers.

I'm sorry I did not know that wasn't allowed. I will not do it again.