Thread: Old glass look; new glass features?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Morales View Post
    You set your lens to infinity, and the adapter physically moves your lens frontwards and backwards. It actually works surprisingly well, and technically any lens that could be adapted to leica M mount has the autofocus capability.
    That's very clever. Albeit a bit limited to wide angle lenses due to the focus throw. 50mm lens needs about 1/2" throw to get half decent close focus. I don't think this adapter can do that...
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Morales View Post
    On a RED camera? Unfortunately, not really. If you were to shoot on a Sony A7 series camera (specifically a model with phase detection, aka, not the A7SII), then you could use all of your existing Contax and Helios glass with the Techart PRO Leica mount adapter, of course adapting your existing lenses to Leica M mount. That adapter allows for continuous autofocus as well! https://techartpro.com/product/techa...focus-adapter/
    Now that is VERY interesting. I'd like to use autofocus on a C200, which is the first AF I've trusted enough to use for professional jobs, but that doesn't look like it's possible with this adapter. It's still a great find. I'd never heard of it before and hope they keep working on this tech.

I hope one of the lens manufacturers sees this and tries the market with something like a rehoused Helios or maybe a Canon FD with AF and IS. I don't know if this is just science fiction, but the idea of one in a CP.2 style cine lens housing would be even better (but maybe prohibitively expensive).

Quote Originally Posted by Fahnon Bennett View Post
    Now that is VERY interesting. I'd like to use autofocus on a C200, which is the first AF I've trusted enough to use for professional jobs, but that doesn't look like it's possible with this adapter. It's still a great find. I'd never heard of it before and hope they keep working on this tech.
    Yeah, the flange distance wouldn't allow for this to work on an EF or PL mount camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    That's very clever. Albeit a bit limited to wide angle lenses due to the focus throw. 50mm lens needs about 1/2" throw to get half decent close focus. I don't think this adapter can do that...
    This video actually explains really well how you can obtain an even shorter minimum focus distance with certain lenses and the adapter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaX7LglfqLw&t=134s

That's true that will work as long as you preset the lens for the range desired. That should not be too hard to do even on the set/location.
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Having used the techart I would not really suggest it as a solution for cinema use. Motors are fairly slow and steppy. This is not intended as a slight against the company, I think the product is very interesting engineering but personally I'm hesitant to use it for still photography autofocus much less anything motion picture related. Maybe some next gen version of the technology?