Thread: Best Production Monitor in 2018?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Personally - I'm not sure why anyone would not choose this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._pro_oled.html

2. #12 Agreed on Sony 
    I own the Sony oled and small HD 24 hdr. The small HD has a killer design and many useful features and with the hood is bright enough to see outdoors easily . The Sony being an Oled has the better picture, but is skimpy on toys. If I could smoosh them together it would be The ultimate monitor. I can see use cases for both. As a reference monitor Id pick the Sony. But if Im running around outdoors the small HD wins. Some ACs prefer pulling focus off the Sony and others the small hd. Hope that helps. Also, professional calibration is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post
    Personally - I'm not sure why anyone would not choose this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._pro_oled.html
    Why would anyone NOT choose it? Cost.

There. Glad we cleared that up.

This may be a dumb question, but why is it that so few use a 4K capable monitor for monitoring when shooting in 4K? Even that $5000.00 Sony someone linked above is still a 1080 monitor. For that price you'd think the Sony would be a 4K monitor. But no. It isn't even UHD.

Is it because 4K isn't all that distinguishable from 1080 on monitors under a certain screen-size that 4K displays are not more widely used when shooting in 4K? Or is it more that the cost of true 4K displays is prohibitive?

Anyone using a 4096x2160 capable display in acquisition, in the field or in-studio?
    Last edited by John David Pope; 10-19-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John David Pope View Post
    Why would anyone NOT choose it? Cost.

There. Glad we cleared that up.

The beauty of RED is they offer many price points, so you have every level of user from blockbuster all the way down. The higher the level you go the higher the expectation of what gear is used on set. On many sets something like the Sony or Flanders would be expected. And, it would be calibrated on a regular basis professionally. This lets both you and the client know that there is a reasonable expectation of the look on set carrying over to post. Is $5000 a lot for that? Is $50,000 for a camera body too much as well? I don't like to shoot with out my Sony, and Small HD AND Astro waveform if I'm doing something technical like green screen. Oh and my flicker meter. None of this is cheap, but at a certain level you can't make mistakes and all of these tools are essential mostly when something goes technically wrong.

As to 4k video out few cameras including RED have 4k output. No Teradek or similar device transmits 4K and if you think $5000 is a lot look up what a Sony or Canon 4k on set monitor costs. My bet would be with DSMC3 we will get 4K out (as will more cameras like Arri when they launch a 4k mini) and by 2020 prices for 4k on set monitors will come down a bit and we will see more adoption (I hope).

Thank you for the explanation as to why monitoring in 4K is such a rarity. And also for the feedback on the smallHD monitor and Sony OLED monitor. It's a dilemma: the high-brightness of the smallHD is so useful outdoors...but that Sony, what with its deep blacks, is luscious. I'm working more with an OCEE budget.
    Last edited by John David Pope; 10-21-2018 at 05:08 PM.

What do you need it for?

DP Reference monitor -- Sony Oled or FSI LCD are pretty standard these days -- with the difference being whether or not the DP prefers Oled blacks or LCD blacks.
    DP Operating monitor -- I recommend a TV logic 7 (or 9?) dual input monitor. This is a great monitor for DPs that operate one camera (e.g. A Cam) while also wanting to monitor another camera (e.g. B Cam) because its one of the rare small monitors that lets you toggle between two inputs (like a bigger monitor).

AC focus monitor -- SmallHD hi bright. They've got strong cases and don't require hoods (although a good hood can still help a lot). Size of the monitor varies from place to place. I find LA likes big monitors for ACs -- 24, 17, 13. Until recently, here in Vancouver everyone was on a 7, almost as a point of pride. I don't first, but if I did I'd use either a 13 or a 17 if I only had one monitor and 24 and 7 if I planned on two of them -- the small one for tight areas and the big one for general comfort.

Important caveat. Wireless integration. Its a thing. If you're a Teradek user you might want to consider how you integrate your wireless and your monitoring. Cables, boxes, power. No fun. If you're going to spend a lot of $$ make sure you think ahead on this one...
    Regards,
    Paul Engstrom

RAW CAMERA COMPANY
    boutique image services
    www.rawcamera.com

RED Monstro/Helium ARRI LF/Mini SONY Venice PHANTOM 4k Flex
    Premium Lenses and Support: Leica, Zeiss, Cooke, Baltar, Lomo, Elite, Fujinon, Sigma, ZERO, Arri, Oconnor
    https://www.rawcamera.com/equipment/