Thread: Helium monochrom best compresion for 8k/60fps

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Helium monochrom best compresion for 8k/60fps 
    Hi,

I need to know what is the best compression for DCM2 Helium monochrome at 8K and 60fps. For the color sensor, the best compression is 12:1.
    I am interested to buy the camera but 12:1 is beyond my personal threshold of niceness. I need 60 fps for my new project, so before buying the camera I must know if the monochrome version of the camera has the same compresion like the color version, or is much improved. I already contacted RED but I did not received a qualified answer yet.

Thank you,
    LA

So one thing to understand is that compression has been improved from the DRAGON and MYSTERIUM sensors. I've heard it said that there is like a 3+ point increase in compression yield. So, for example, a 12:1 on HELIUM, is like a 9:1 on DRAGON. New compressions are much cleaner.
    You don't have to see something to believe in it, but you have to believe in something to see it.

The best, and perhaps only good answer to this question would be for someone who has a Helium 8k Monochrome camera to post some 8k 60fps clips. There are many clips in the RED Sample Images gallery, but only one showing monochrome, and in that case it's M-X.

It's pretty difficult for one to make this sort of decision based on the say-so of others. You really need to look at R3D files, and you need to confirm that exposure, lighting, subject treatment etc is enough in bounds that you can use it as a reliable test in lieu of renting the camera and shooting clips youself.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"