Thread: Sigma Cine Primes

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Sigma Cine Primes 
    I'm shooting a commercial project next week. I've seen a lot of footage from the Sigma zoom lenses, but not a ton of stuff from the primes. We're shooting a lot of dim interiors.

Does anyone have some good examples of the primes in action?

Any recommendations or good/bad experiences with specific lenses?
    - zack

--
    Zack McTee
    zackmctee.com
    twitter.com/zackmctee

Quote Originally Posted by Zack McTee View Post
    I'm shooting a commercial project next week. I've seen a lot of footage from the Sigma zoom lenses, but not a ton of stuff from the primes. We're shooting a lot of dim interiors.

Does anyone have some good examples of the primes in action?

Any recommendations or good/bad experiences with specific lenses?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eRmqYzJVfU

Sigma starts at 1:03:35

Here's a film I shot the day I got the lenses.

http://www.48hourfilm.com/new-haven-ct/films/32836
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

The SigmaCINE primes should work well in dim lighting as they have good contrast at wide stops. They are also pretty sharp, which should help you get some bite on in focus subjects to separate them from the back ground - which can really help when the lighting levels leave the overall image less distinct. YMMV.

Cheers - #19

I have an odd question. I have the 5 lens set of Sigma primes with the included Pelican/Storm case. The foam insert is glued in and I want to change the foam out for a custom 6 hole piece. Is there some miracle way to get the old foam out? The glue at the bottom of the foam is pretty tough.

I had a similar issue and we scraped out the foam as well as we could, then sprayed Goo Gone on what was left. It was messy, smelly and a PITA. Be sure and dry wipe any remaining Goo Gone out of the case and let it air out before installing the new foam or you may have issues with the new glue holding.

Cheers - #19

My sigma case is massive and just way too deep even for repurposing with different foam.... is this what others have from sigma?

I belive the micro vibrations coming from wheels are just not good for lenses cases 'ever' ..... and especially delicate cam based optics? Am I wrong?

I was going to have another case made just for 6 then case up the 14mm on its own with a dedicated MB etc.... what are others doing?
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram

So thank you all. I scarped and cut through layer after layer and then used GooGone and it all seems to be okay. Yes the Sigma case is massive and it took hours to get the old foam out. I think using the wheels as little as possible is a good idea. I have the 14mm through 85 so when I get the 135 and the 40mm maybe I need 2 cases. Yes more more and more cases.....
    I would love to see what everyone does for any set of lenses with their case size and foam cut outs

9. #9 I like where you're going with this... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyons Collister, ASC View Post
    So thank you all. I scarped and cut through layer after layer and then used GooGone and it all seems to be okay. Yes the Sigma case is massive and it took hours to get the old foam out. (snip)
    It's a messy PITA indeed Peter.

For years we've had the great pleasure (NOT) of lugging ATA type cases from rental houses whose logical priority is protecting their investment. For DPs who own their own lens sets and only rent them to trusted colleagues, Storm/Pelican type cases with proper foam can be much easier on one's back. In my experience, if you have a snug fit between lens and foam, the lenses are in little danger. Obviously if you need to truck ship, or other hard core transport scenarios, the ATA style case may be a necessary evil.

I wonder if our friends at Sigma could provide the CAD files for the lens holes that we could use with the internal dimensions of whatever case one desires to facilitate custom foam design? Brian...

Cheers - #19