Thread: Help With Lens Set Choices For Rentals And Personal Use

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Help With Lens Set Choices For Rentals And Personal Use 
    Looking to invest in my first set of cinema primes that'll provide good optics and a decent return via rentals. My budget range is $15,000-$20,000 and I'm based in Los Angeles. A few options I've thought about are the Sigma Cine primes or the 18-35 & 50-100 zoom set, Schneider Xenons, Sony Cine Altas, Zeiss CP.3s (if I can find a good deal on them used), and Tokina Vistas (same as the CP.3s). Does anyone know of a good option in this price range that they like using and that'll do well on consignment at a rental house?

I bought a set of the Sony Cinealta's and they paid for themselves within a year. Great lenses, though they may not have the best brand name for rentals. Someone has a set up for sale in the marketplace here for dirt cheap.

For rentals the CP3's may be the best bet for name recognition (plus the ability to swap mounts will open up your market).

I would go for the sigma's. They really stand tall not only in that price category but next to any other set. Think most people have not realized how good they are.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo

I would go for the sigma's. They really stand tall not only in that price category but next to any other set. Think most people have not realized how good they are.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo

If possible, I'd try and get some scoop from local rental houses if there are any nearby. Tell them you are considering a set that you might put on consignment with them. Depending on the terms and how much you trust the rental house, you might actually want to try consignment. Some people have been very happy with such an arrangement, others have horror stories. IAC, you don't actually have to set up a consignment deal. Just by starting the discussion there, I think you are more likely to get meaningful feedback. Another technique is to call for a rental quote to get a sense of what's on offer - just be kind and don't keep them on the phone for more than a minute or two.

IMHO, the SigmaCINE set is the best option in your price range for several reasons:

1) small and light for handheld/gimbal/drone use
    2) Covers FF/VV to satisfy Monstro/AlexaLF/etc
    3) cam focus supports both strip it and grip it -OR- full FIZ
    4) fast with good contrast wide open
    5) sharp optics that can be filtered when needed (creamier lenses can be a handicap when the shot needs bite)
    6) good range of focal lengths with neutral tone that cut well together

FWIW, the only other set in this price range I'd be tempted to get instead is the 3 lens Zeiss Otus stills set with the Duclos CineMod. Insane IQ, but only 28, 55, 85mm currently available, kind of large/heavy and potentially harder to rent out. YMMV.

Cheers - #19