Thread: DIFFUSED KINO FLO W UNBLEACHED MUSLIN: how to get more light output

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 DIFFUSED KINO FLO W UNBLEACHED MUSLIN: how to get more light output 
    Hello group:

So I shoot with the SONY F35 which is native 400 ISO. I discovered I love how the image looks when lit by a 4x4 kino flo diffused with un bleached muslin. Unfortunately once you put on muslin it cuts two stops of light from the unit and its throw is limited when you can't pump up the ISO anymore then it already is. So my question is in regards to this lighting method, what can I do to augment this type of lighting to get the same look? A friend of mine has an IMAGE 80 KINO that has 8 bulbs in it that i can try. Is the answer to use more diffused kino lights? Or can I get a punchier light such as a 2k and augment the kino by bouncing the light of a sheet of muslin material?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

O.R

You can shoot more Kinos into it :)

Or perhaps a thinner diffusion panel, perhaps larger, and maybe closer to the subject if possible.

I use mostly Chimera modifiers and they do indeed have 1/8th stop material if you ask them for it.

With the Kinos you are going from a softer light to a diffusion panel. If you go to a hard light I might suggest double diffusion. Without knowing your exact setup, hard to say, but a hot source into two pieces of material separated to taste will give you a lovely soft light.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks Phil that makes sense. I am thinking a strong light going through soft frost layers and then unbleached muslin