Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Teradek Bolt DSMC2 on set review

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Teradek Bolt DSMC2 on set review 
    For those who are looking for a robust and streamlined wireless video solution for RED DSMC2 cameras, there's finally a solution.
    I had the chance to use one of the first DSMC2 Bolt transmitters on my current production.

We are shooting a science fiction film, the majority of it in and around water and hot and humid environments. We use many wireless devices on set, like wireless focus, wireless DMX, sound and other network connected devices.
    The Bolt DSMC2 performs flawlessly even under these circumstances.

For initial setup of the Bolt DSMC2, we used a laptop to connect it with the Bolt 3000 receivers. Ever since, it lived on the camera. It powers up and is ready to transmit a perfect picture by the time the camera is ready to shoot.

It is great for hand held setups, gimbal and steadicam, where a compact camera setup is a big time saver, especially when switching back and forth between different camera platforms.

Most connection issues we had in the past, with regular wireless video transmitters, lead back to bad cables and not the transmitters themselves.
    The Bolt DSMC2 makes the camera system more robust as it eliminates the need for a power and video cable. The unit receives power and video straight from the camera brain.

What we found tricky at first were the long antennas that can get in the way when you quickly wanna grab the camera. We tested different antennas and ended up using antennas from our OMOD module.
    These are shorter and come in an 90 degree angle, so that they stay close to the camera. Even with these short antennas, the connection is rock solid.

Wireless transmitters tend to become quite hot. I was surprised to find out that there seems to be no impact on the temperature of the camera itself.

Final thoughts:
    Pretty amazing cable-less design, that saves you time in prep and on the day with easy mounting of the transmitter. If you want to go super compact and don't need wireless video, it comes off with four screws within seconds. It is compact and sits directly behind the camera, keeping the weight distribution centered, which makes the camera easy to balance on a gimbal, steadicam or remote head.
    Attached Images
    Markus Förderer, BVK
    www.markusfoerderer.com

Love how compact your setup is!

Thanks for sharing Markus.

Looks and sounds *great*.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Thanks for sharing your experience with Bolt DSMC2.

Cant wait to get mine :-)
    Norbert Niederacher
    Weapon MG, Schneider Xenon Primes, Angenieux EZ1 + EZ2

Thanks for sharing Markus! Also love your work!
    Red EPIC-W #003307 "Annabelle"

Same feels. That looks nice and tidy. Going to test one real soon.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

What video feed from the camera does it use? Do you still have both outputs available from the base IO?
    I have a feeling it takes the feed from the HDMI/side pogo output, is that so?
    The module itself does not have any video outputs, correct?
    Daniel Stilling, DFF (Danish Society of Cinematographers)
    Director Of Photography
    www.danieldp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stilling View Post
    What video feed from the camera does it use? Do you still have both outputs available from the base IO?

It is using the HDMI feed. No video outputs on the module. Teradek module attaches first on the brain, then base I/O or V-Lock expander, that will give you the video outputs, except for HDMI.
    Markus Förderer, BVK
    www.markusfoerderer.com

still a question... Can I have my side EVF and top LCD working as well as the Teradek module?

Have been considering this system but i hesitate now that we are so far into the DSMC2 form factor's life. Took a long time to come out. hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stilling View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Foerderer View Post
    It is using the HDMI feed. No video outputs on the module. Teradek module attaches first on the brain, then base I/O or V-Lock expander, that will give you the video outputs, except for HDMI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Morrison View Post
    still a question... Can I have my side EVF and top LCD working as well as the Teradek module?
    Official info from Teradek on the production model.

Yes, it takes over the EVF/HDMI feed when enabled. The DSMC2 BOLT has a toggle switch to enable the EVF/HDMI signal when you want to get your head in there.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon