Thread: Recovering Red Data - is it possible?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Recovering Red Data - is it possible? 
    I have some RED r3D files on a portable Samsung HD that seems to have gone bad. There's about 500gb of data on there but some of the files refuse to copy over or play back directly in Red Player. When I try to copy the files windows copies a portion of the file over but the returns with the familiar error "cannot copy from source file of disk"

I've tried redundead but that didn't work at all, probably because it's designed to work with mags not portable drives. Just guessing here though.

Does anyone know if there's a way of recovering the files? Even partially would be helpful as it was a live music performance covered with multiple cameras so I can still make the project work with glitches or even missing sections.

Thanks

I just had this happen to me. I had a Lacie drive go bad on me and fortunately they have a data recovery program for every one of their drives you purchase. So I sent it in and in two weeks they sent me a drive with all of my footage on it. The drive was doing everything yours is like not being able to copy and sometimes it would actually crash my computer as it was unresponsive. It was beyond normal repair from software and needed the pros to do recover the data. It can cost a few hundred (seagate has a good service) but if the footage is important enough to you it's worth it.
    One warning, the footage I got back has some artifacts in it that I'm still trying to figure out. But at least I have all 750GB of footage.
    Good luck