Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DSMC3 Wish list

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Samir Patel View Post
    Bit confused so is DSMC3 hydrogen one based or are we talking a more conventional body like DSMC2 but with more features?
    Talking about future red camera bodies and possibilities.

Slow motion:

To keep image noise down in high frame rate, and to reduce the power demands of processing 8K - perhaps Red could consider a hardware backed mode into the next DSMC3 sensor - a High_Speed mode in which 8k (FF) is down converted to 4K at the start of the image processing?

- The whole 8K sensor would be used (ie no light lost when windowing to 4K).
    - 1/4 the pixels to process and so less power requirements to process and store.
    - Better SNR = Better image compression
    - No windowing = no lens changes or optical changes in high speed.
    - If the DSMC2 can process 8K at 60fps. DSMC3 Downsamplng to 4K could make 240fps more attainable.

AJ

For me I hope there's more new modules and improvement-, at least for the next 2 or 3 years- to the current DSMC2! I have purchased Monstro really recently and would love to have the system fully optimised to the maximum and benefiting from new breakthroughs well before a new DSMC3 comes. I'm sure it will come, but love the current DSMC2 design and I think more development could go into the system. Its still leading edge, and modularity would hopefully keep it current and the upgrade less expensive for us current owners/users!
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Timmons View Post
    You mentioned this in the audio improvements thread and I think you have a point.
    I do kind of feel that RED's 1st attempt at working with 3rd parties at a deep hardware level was a bit bumpy.
    As you stated, early engagement with 3rd parties would be a good approach for the future.
    Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA
    Jarred publicly committing to DSMC2 through 2020 is a double edged sword. I think drawing a line in the sand was the right move, but it did put an expiration date on starting dev on anything for DSMC2. When you look at what PV did with the DXLs the potential is obvious.

FWIW, I'd be ready to drop $10-25K on a rear module and AKS system that provides a decent sub-set of what the DXL offers. For years I've been pitching my "shell" concept that houses wired and wireless I/O, legit audio, power, MDR, etc in an ergonomic form factor that sits balanced on the shoulder with most connections internal. In a perfect world you would only need a JetPack (or similar) for gimbal/drone applications, the "shell" for everything else and swapping would be a 60 second task in the field. Am I the only RedUser who wants this kind of functionality?

Cheers - #19

Blair, actually I think DSMC3 probably will keep rear modules compatibility...

I think most innovations should come to the right side expansion modules where the sidekick and side handle now sits.

It could be probably compatible as far as form factor and dimensions but I think it should include a power connection too,
    so the brain should be able to power side modules like focus controllers, all done internally without the need of lemo external cables...
    TOMMASO ALVISI | tommasoalvisi.com
    Weapon 6K Carbon Fiber #1605 aka qp
    instagram | twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Jarred publicly committing to DSMC2 through 2020 is a double edged sword. I think drawing a line in the sand was the right move, but it did put an expiration date on starting dev on anything for DSMC2. When you look at what PV did with the DXLs the potential is obvious.

FWIW, I'd be ready to drop $10-25K on a rear module and AKS system that provides a decent sub-set of what the DXL offers. For years I've been pitching my "shell" concept that houses wired and wireless I/O, legit audio, power, MDR, etc in an ergonomic form factor that sits balanced on the shoulder with most connections internal. In a perfect world you would only need a JetPack (or similar) for gimbal/drone applications, the "shell" for everything else and swapping would be a 60 second task in the field. Am I the only RedUser who wants this kind of functionality?

Cheers - #19
    Would love to see this as well. There is so much possibility with DSMC2 that hasn't been tapped. It has been WAY too long since Red has released any new modules, accessories, anything for DSMC2. Hope there are still some things in the works.

1) Electronic ND

2) Less fiddly and more responsive touch screen

3) Physical button controller like Teradek AC but built in the body. Sidekick 2.0, a bit larger.
    This is essential feature for a cinema camera functionality, not a special feature.

4) Monitor arm with internal cabling and option for proper smart side monitor positioning (camera top is not), or just arm with external cable but allowing practical shooting

5) High speed burst into RAM cache option - no to minimal compression

6) Why is black shading still a thing unlike everyone else

7) Plastic vent cover off the high end camera body

8) Cooling reorganized with different positioning, one larger vent instead of two smaller for lower speed and frequency, if needed increase in camera depth. No one cares for one more inch if cooling variables disappear and cooling becomes a thoughtless factor.
    http://i68.tinypic.com/drcb4y.jpg

Analog > Camera feel optimization http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Camera performance optimization http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

make the clock battery user changeable. We shouldn't have to send in the camera to get a new clock battery.

9.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Mini rant - I respect how much lead time it can take to bring a module to market. That said, every DSMC2 rear module I've seen so far has too many compromises.
    Cheers - #19
    check.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    check.
    ...? ... please more details?

Ps I am not going to suggest anything feature wise as you sound close....???