Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DSMC3 Wish list

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    DSMC3 Suggestions

1) Firmware : Stable wifi that does not drop out / does not require the camera to be periodically rebooted.
    Replacement the existing 802.11b with Wifi-6 (802.11ax).

2) Option to Sync clips being recorded onto R3D with external device (if 802.11ax recording device is paired).
    Option to purge local camera clip when save stored to paired recording devices.
    When out of range - and back in range - media offloading would continue (at up to 14Gb/s)
    If R3D not fully in sync with paired device - the unsynced footage would remain on the mini-mag.

3) Firmware : After a successful boot on a new firmware - create and persist data that is calculated on startup. If firmware has not changed, bootup should (more like an 'wake' in MacOs) - use previous boot state for more rapid starting. GUI should come up almost instantly. Where comms bus requires stability of underlying hardware (eg SSD), or Sensor warming - lock that functionality out (this is what Magic Lantern did during startup while creating lookup tables to be used for real time image magnification during recording).

4) Menu structure : Consider an option for Icons to replace words in menu where the meaning is universal (eg Audio / power / media menu in INKontrol). Panavision - reduced their menus down to 5 for fewer buttons to push & less up and down navigation. Experimental menu solution in INKontrol allows two levels concurrently on screen using Icons where possible for minimum clutter - not sure if this would be of interest?

5) 4K external monitor when recording. Touch screen - even when recording - for 1-1 mapping to magnify area overlaid in a square or circle at that point for rapid focus checking, and then disengage after a few seconds (or the next screen press)

6) Introduce Internal electric ND that has option to remove itself from the optic path - so that DoF can be set with optimal SNR for the current scene.
    UPDATE : Looks like Tilta will sort this on DSMC2 in 2019

7) 60GHz dedicated real time wireless video transmission for display - eg in augmented reality goggles. (so that if the camera was lifted from the ground to above your head - the operator could see what the camera is seeing displayed). This interface option could reduce the weight of the camera setup (no on camera screen required).

8) Up the maximum frame rate to 8k @ 240Hz / 4k @ 1000fps. Probably enough for the vast majorities needs? Could also be used as a work around for 2 stops of ND (if HDRX not desired).

AJ
    Last edited by Antony Newman; 11-05-2018 at 04:57 PM.

No DSMC3 at all. Give it a rest allready ;-) We have the best cameras in the history of man right now. Lets settle down and let them mature for a minute. If Red kept working to improve, and upgrade one camera design, for more than a new york minute, you would end up with something magnificent like the Arri bl4, or the Panavision Genesis.

I think they have done so much good work moving towards an amazing camera with the DSMC2 system, it could really turn into something lovely.

But hey, I'm old and grumpy.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    No DSMC3 at all. Give it a rest allready ;-) We have the best cameras in the history of man right now. Lets settle down and let them mature for a minute. If Red kept working to improve, and upgrade one camera design, for more than a new york minute, you would end up with something magnificent like the Arri bl4, or the Panavision Genesis.

I think they have done so much good work moving towards an amazing camera with the DSMC2 system, it could really turn into something lovely.

But hey, I'm old and grumpy.

Nick
    This is I suppose what I really feel... I really do feel the next product has to be a big step forward on all fronts (not the usual 2steps forward 1step back).... but I suspect most would disagree

Internal ND. Auto focus like Canon's.
    Epic W
    Brian Pascale

Look at the Blackmagic Pocket 4K, having recording options over USB-C is a BIG deal! I don’t expect they’ll allow for REDCODE but Prores and maybe Prores RAW would be a great starting point for new owners rather than having to shell out thousands of dollars more for expensive proprietary media like we’ve had to do up until now for practical reasons. Ever since the RED One there’s been people trying to do long form recording with external recorders and the like just to avoid having to purchase dozens of RED Mags or having to deal with the extra post processing for REDCODE, even though there has always been limited output resolution by SDI or HDMI. Giving the option for Prores was a big step forward in usability for the RED cameras but now expanding storage and workflow options with USB-C recording would be a game changer.

No fan.

I would love to see...

20 stops of Dynamic Range even when at ISO 50 or ISO 5000.

Internal NDs,

and any internal batteries should be user removable.

:)
    Regards,
    Martin Stevens

President and Founder of Glidecam Industries, Inc.
    Producer and Director at Metaphoric Pictures Corporation.

My top ones:
    - 8K @ 120fps. 240fps if miracles happen on the sensor side of things.
    - Wouldn't mind a 12K or higher resolution camera, but I know I'm not everybody.
    - We'll need new media for sure. Just stating the fact here.
    - Support for 4K LCD/EVFs
    - 4K and 8K output
    - I personally would like to see some backwards compatibility with DSMC2 stuff, but I know that could limiting in a lot of ways.
    - REDCODE RAW enhancements and the ability to shoot 2:1 or 3:1 at 8K would be neato.
    - Faster Boot is a good one.
    - Sensor Calibration either faster, which I think is possible with more processing power. Probably could get that down to 4 minutes, maybe less.
    - Waveform might be a nice addition internally.
    - Internal fan design with heatsink coils exposed to air maybe. There's some other cooling things to explore. I'm not somebody who has a big issue with the fans, but there's a lot out there who... erm... aren't fans.

If there's no shutter speed limitation on the newest LCND tech that PV, Lee, and Tilta are deploying, that might be a more interesting option internally.

Everybody will want some sort of internal ND thing at this point I guess.

Might be interesting to see the direction new sensors go with Dual ISO or not.

Curious if there's any OLPF related enhancements that can be made. Specifically either making that part of the cover glass to eliminate deep aperture orbs or something else. Don't know if we should have a mechanical OLPF switcheroo, but that might be a thing. But yet another thing to break for sure.

Sensor-wise, there's some fancy stuff not yet used in motion picture cameras. I don't know if that's a possibility, but might be fun to explore.

Wireless 4K video is coming along, but 2020-2023 that will be something we'll need to tackle.

I have thoughts on 3rd party modules and related development. Some have been empowering, some have been points of frustration due to unofficial deployment or just shotty engineering concepts. Specifically we'll need a couple ones done with a bit more foresight, but I'll keep that off the air for now.

*might be neat to integrate a 15mm rod slots into the body. Totally not necessary, but something to consider.

If I was a guessing man, I'd expect a whole different spin on the general operating system in camera.

S35, VV, and yeah maybe a bigger baby, but again, that's really not the bulk of the market right now.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Those DSMC2 W sensors will probably become much more affordable once DSMC3 comes to play. It will be the bright side of having the older tech.
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Dishler View Post
    Those DSMC2 W sensors will probably become much more affordable once DSMC3 comes to play. It will be the bright side of having the older tech.
    Initially, if it follows the trend of how DSMC2 went down, all current gen DSMC2 sensor tech might find their way into DSMC3 bodies.

That is, unless RED has some bigger plans that are outside of that projected map.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon