Thread: Twilight Over Los Angeles - 8K

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Twilight Over Los Angeles - 8K 
    A new piece filmed during the last moments of day over LA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb1NvPIhssk

Best watched in 8K full screen if your system or device can handle it.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

It looks amazing! Makes me want to buy an 8K screen.

Really well operated! Both camera and helicopter.
    Julián Baños

FilmaRED Mexico City
    Epic-Ws
    MONSTRO!!
    Cooke Anamorphic/i SF
    Cooke S7/i
    Sigma Cine
    Gates Pro-Action!!
    DIT Carts

Phil - perhaps there's another thread on this, but I'd love some notes on 8K display options as of today - plus what we might expect to see released within the next 6-8 months. No doubt you are under NDA on some product development info, but perhaps you could share some knowledge without directly citing any particular display manufacturer...

Cheers - #19

Thank you Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Phil - perhaps there's another thread on this, but I'd love some notes on 8K display options as of today - plus what we might expect to see released within the next 6-8 months. No doubt you are under NDA on some product development info, but perhaps you could share some knowledge without directly citing any particular display manufacturer...
    In the next 3 months you'll see mostly television related stuff. In 6 months you will see smaller desk-sized displays. The good stuff is coming around that time from what I understand.

In 2019-likely expect HDMI 2.1 GPUs. Every demonstrated product I've seen 2.1 on was slated for 2019/2020. This is notable as GPUs will likely get there in a year, likely that is. Displayport will ride out 1.4 with expanded 8K support using Display Stream Compression up to 60, 120, and 144hz.

I haven't tested the latest RTX Quadro yet, but I'd be curious if it can drive an 8K display via a single DP 1.4 port and seeing what it does, the problem is none of the 8K displays "work that way" yet. This moment that is. Getting systems down to a single cable is crucial for general consumer and prosumer devices. SDI, you'll see some fun stuff mid-2019. 2020, if there aren't robust production solutions on this front by then, well we'll be a grumpy lot.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar

I'd love to know the exposure details if you feel like sharing them. I'm guessing ISO 3000, 24fps, T8?
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    I'd love to know the exposure details if you feel like sharing them. I'm guessing ISO 3000, 24fps, T8?
    Heh. T8 after the sun goes down would be impressive. 8K VV, Tokina 35mm, mostly between T1.5-T5. ISO is a fairly broad range, light changes rapidly at twilight, most lands in the 800-1600 realm. However the grade is a bit more interesting across tones, which makes the ISO answer not-so-simple. This is a look based on philmColor:ghostStock:phoenix with a little razzle dazzle added in because I occasionally am a weirdo about stronger grades.

While I'd say most of my work in general is 24fps I chose to push this baby out in 30fps because I like to watch the world burn. Kidding. Enhances sort of the floating vibe on pans a bit. Everything you saw was shot at 60fps and is slow motion.

The main intro shot that leads into and through LA is one of my personal favorite aerial shots. It's a several minute long approach that's sort of a one in a thousand take to get a move as good as that to hold for so long. I nearly just released that one shot as the video as the track was chosen to conform to it's actual shot length so that procedural motion feels consistent as we move forward through the city.

To expand on that personal note, just in the last few years I've hit so many special shots from the sky on a few projects. I'm obviously getting paid to produce quality work from the heli, that's the job, but there's a few shots from all over that have left a truly lasting impact on me and that's mostly a result of the light, environment, a composed shot just singing real loud. Nearly all of those shot on Dragon or Monstro 8K VV. It's always special filming aerials like this, but when you hit those solid takes they stick with you in your bones.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Well, Phil, I didn't notice any grading. Which means you did your job well. :-) I love that opening shot that passes over the Observatory. I also didn't notice that you shot at 60fps. I guess I should have, because when I think about it, the cars were moving a bit too slowly. Thank you for the exposure info, too.

The mood that you have achieved here would definitely suit a feature film. I'm thinking something like Sleepless in Seattle with a bit of Mulholland Drive.

Edit: This sort of shot is definitely doable with 500T film, based on the exposure data you provided. You'd have to put on a filter and either underexpose or push (5219 is very impressive in that department). I imagine it would be more difficult, as you would have to use 65mm cameras. You would probably have to use the compact Panavision 65 units which have limited magazines. They are not listed on the website so I forget the model name. Just thinking aloud.
    Last edited by Karim D. Ghantous; 11-02-2018 at 12:50 AM.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    Edit: This sort of shot is definitely doable with 500T film, based on the exposure data you provided. You'd have to put on a filter and either underexpose or push (5219 is very impressive in that department). I imagine it would be more difficult, as you would have to use 65mm cameras. You would probably have to use the compact Panavision 65 units which have limited magazines. They are not listed on the website so I forget the model name. Just thinking aloud.
    When I started filming aerials in the 2000s we shot on film and that was before things like Shotover were around. It was either open door, on the skids, or Tyler mount. The key issue is overcranked you run out of film quickly and you have to swap mags in the bird "very often".

Case in point, if I shot this on 35mm stock I'd get less than 4 and half minutes of runtime per 1000' load.

65mm, less than 3.5 minutes in any practical form.

I have single shots longer than any of this.

That's one of the rather major reasons you don't see a lot of people filming aerials on film in 2018. It's a rather rare activity these days.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

nice one!
    Modest Helium Kit + Pro Primes
    -GG
    ggcinema.com

Stunning AF but as per usual Phil. :)
    Samir Patel
    instagram.com/patelimages

samir-patel.com

--
    Stealth Weapon-MG and EPIC-W with some vintage Contax-Zeiss and Leica-R goodness and some Canon and Nikon modern glass just for good measure.