Thread: Communicating with your Bomb Rep Squad, I seriously miss the good old days...

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Communicating with your Bomb Rep Squad, I seriously miss the good old days... 
    To be honest, I hate reading this part of the forum and I even hate more posting here...
    Till last December, I used to purchase pretty much everything I need online through Red UK.
    Since that, things changed and it's recommended dealing with the national distributor, one shop in France, based in Paris.
    Problem is that distributor is not only selling Red and sometimes he has other priorities which I can understand.
    He doesn't also have all the items we should need in stock and when it's the case, it's hard to order "only one" specific item...
    With the distributor policy, other distributors are not allowed to sell outside their country which means for me, being French but also European, I cannot order and be delivered from a German or English distributor...
    Last December, I rush ordered a 4,7 Touch Screen, the distributor couldn't handle my order because it was his annual inventory week... I went through the website but it would have taken weeks according to my past Bomb squad rep who was incredibly helpful as most of my previous Bomb Squad... To get that screen in a couple days, I had to get a German friend ordering it and sending it to me... Anyway, a waste of time... And the rest of the story regarding that screen is not solved yet... I still exchange an email a week with support because of some Red account problem...
    Last Monday, I tried to order an H20 OLPF VV...
    French distributor doesn't have it in stock and the person I talked to on the phone wasn't really helpful.
    I ended up ordering through Red website.
    I got a reply on Friday, four days after, asking how I want to pay the OLPF and which courrier I wanted to use, etc... All infos already filled online... 4 days after... I replied that I can pay for Fedex or pick it up at the LA Red store if it's faster (and of course cheaper) as I will be there this week... I also asked a question regarding taxes and international VAT number... Since then, no reply...
    And it's been like that for most of my requests regarding sales... No reply or replies coming a week after my emails and sometimes totally out of subject...
    This is painful...
    I use to exchange a lot with my Bomb Reps, get infos and tips from them. When items were in stock, I would received them the next day after a quick phone call and a basic online order... This time is now over and it doesn't make my life easier...
    I'm not a famous DP or a rental house but I've been client at Red since the Red One era and I'm really disappointed when after a week, I still don't know how I can purchase an item I need which is supposed to be sent in 1 or 2 business day according the website...
    Sorry for the rant, not sure it will help my case but I really needed to share it here as for me, the link between Red and its customers has always been something unique which make this brand so different than any other camera manufacturer...
    Monstro 8K VV and Epic-W packages ready to shoot
    Gates Pro Action DSMC2 Water Housing
    SPL DSMC2 Custom Water Housings
    Reel
    L/K-rtel
    Capbreton, France
    Instagram, Twitter and Vimeo

The Australian Red distributor only has discontinued cameras on display: a Red One, a Magnesium Weapon and a Scarlet W. They have a handful of mish mash Red items in a display case and some dated posters. It is a bit of a joke.

I've been a Red owner since 2010 / 2011, I bought a Red One, an Epic, a Scarlet, a Raven then upgraded to Epic Dragon, Weapon CF, Monstro and Epic-W... Since my first purchase, I always had two Red cameras in my line-up.
    Upgrades have been awesome but more than that, customer service has been incredible. I remember getting an RMA number on Monday and a back-up camera or a back-up screen on Tuesday and so being able to attend a shoot.
    I remember talking on a phone with my both my Bomb Squad and an RMA representative and fixing proper issues on camera during a shoot...
    With the last two firmwares I've installed my Epic-W and my Monstro have been extremely buggy... I'm loosing communication with my two different Canon mounts on both cameras, I had writing error messages on my Red Mini Mags and I have to reboot my camera between takes which makes me look like a fool...
    My cameras used to be rock solid but for 3 months, there's not a single shoot where I din't get any issue...
    Recently, it was my EVF mount... It's locked and unusable so I had to contact the RMA, my Bomb Rep replied to me the next day which is great then I had to sent it to a shop in Germany and since then, no news, no reply...
    I know the shop in Germany has other thing to do than only fixing red's stuff... I have the same feeling when I need an info or I need to order some gear to the French Red distributor... Their knowledge is really limited and I don't even mention the stock...
    In November I went to LA and managed to buy some gear really easily, I'm bummed we can't do the same in France... I'm even more bummed about the new RMA system and customer service in Europe...
    What's the point? I really have the feeling, for us, European customer, we lost that direct relationship with the brand...
    Remember back in the days when some people were claiming Red cameras are buggy? I was the first one to explain that wasn't the case and sometimes, if there was issue, the customer service was top notch...
    I'm not a famous cinematographer and my company is really small but my all professional eco-system (water housing, accessories, etc...) was built around Red cameras but right now, I have the feeling I will jump from issues to more disappointment... With that Canon mount issue, that EVF I can't use for 3 weeks, etc... I really feel I should jumped to another brand...
    How is the customer service with another brand?
    Jarred, Brent, you won't probably read that but if it happens, please think about all that and how tricky the situation is for us here in France and mostly in Europe...
    Monstro 8K VV and Epic-W packages ready to shoot
    Gates Pro Action DSMC2 Water Housing
    SPL DSMC2 Custom Water Housings
    Reel
    L/K-rtel
    Capbreton, France
    Instagram, Twitter and Vimeo