Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: New Module Tease From Jarred - November 2018

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks for that Blair. I guess it just comes down to when are the monitors going to be available. I can see a huge ass monitor on a stage, but not so much on location ;-)

Nick

I hope to it has uhd output. I like to use two monitors att all time where One is for composing/browsing menus. The other Onewould be det to show pixel 1:1.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    Honest question. What would you do with a 4k output? People use Red's products in lots of different ways, so I am sure there are scenarios where that would be good, just wondering what they are.

From my point of view, on current production environments, I don't see the point. You can't transmit it. It is of no use on small monitors. I am not aware of any 4k production friendly 17-24" monitors (is 4k even really that big of a deal at those screen sizes ?). Just wondering how it would be utilized.

Nick
    live events - conferences, church, etc in 4K

Cheap 4K switchers have been available for several years.

Decent 65” 4K TVs are $750 at Target so 10 of those spread around a room
    For imag are about the same as a high powered 1080p projector

I don’t know the numbers but I suspect that the vast majority of red owners aren’t
    doing high end “productions” so happy to do the day to day jobs that are available
    and it would be nice if Red could give more consideration to the other type of paid shoots out there

It would also be nice to have a 4K out to the cheap external 4K record/monitors that can use much more
    economical media (think Atomos or BMD)

For $895 the BMD 7” video assist gives you uhd recording, 1920x1200 pixel resolution, LUTS, scopes, focus tools, etc and 2 mini-xlrs for solid audio connections
    and the cheapest Red monitor that gives 1920 pixel res is $2750

From the BMD site:
    the 7” Video Assist 4K records HD and Ultra
    HD up to 2160p30. You get incredible looking, broadcast quality 10‑bit, 4:2:2 ProRes and DNxHR in Quicktime or MXF files that work with all major editing software so you can start editing without having to convert them! Recording can be automatically triggered from SDI and HDMI so you can stay focussed on getting the shot, without having to worry about operating additional gear! The 7” Video Assist 4K also has two recorders so when one card is full, it automatically continues recording onto the next!
    Save the Sharks
    RED Helium 8KS35 (For Rent) Original Manufacturer of Redone & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 www.Aquavideo.com ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

All valid points ;-)

Nick

It still baffles me that RED who was on the forefront of the 4K resolution (and now 8K) still doesn't have simple and affordable 4k out option....yet it's available on almost any DSLR/mirorless camera. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Maz Mawlawi View Post
    It still baffles me that RED who was on the forefront of the 4K resolution (and now 8K) still doesn't have simple and affordable 4k out option....yet it's available on almost any DSLR/mirorless camera. ;-)
    I assume it is because Red doesn't, and in my opinion correctly, want to take picture quality short cuts..... and a RT in camera debayer and scale won't be best quality... their video outs are currently more like video taps..

AND If it was a best in class debeyer etc I probably wouldn't want to carry the cost/weight/heat penality for my shoots. If they have found a way to do it all for no penalty great!... but otherwise I hope they focus on what is currently clearly very missing for the majority of people grumblings.. power outs, multiple video outs, slightly better audio in and more standard connectors?
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram

From my point of view, on current production environments, I don't see the point. You can't transmit it. It is of no use on small monitors. I am not aware of any 4k production friendly 17-24" monitors (is 4k even really that big of a deal at those screen sizes ?). Just wondering how it would be utilized.

Nick
    The key words in your comment is ... "CURRENT production environments".

Affordable 4K production friendly 17-24" monitors and zero delay 4K wireless transmission are coming sooner than you think. And yes, even on a 17" - 4K monitor for focus on a large format sensor is not something anyone will give up once they have used it.

I think the only question I have is .... how far out is DSMC3 :)
    Mark L. Pederson | Director of Technology | OFFHOLLYWOOD
    Blog - MegaPixels.io
    http://twitter.com/offhollywood

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post
    And yes, even on a 17" - 4K monitor for focus on a large format sensor is not something anyone will give up once they have used it.
    I would go as far as saying "and yes, even on a 7" or 8" on camera display - 4K monitor....."

Yep. I'm going there.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Honest question. What would you do with a 4k output? People use Red's products in lots of different ways, so I am sure there are scenarios where that would be good, just wondering what they are.
    4k output is almost the biggest feature I miss on Red for one simple reason, it will let us get better focus. Focusing with a 2k display on a 8k source is close to impossible for me at least when things move fast.
    I know the smallHd monitors can take 4k signal and then you can zoom in to 200% to check details.
    But I fear this module will not be cheap :)
    Andreas
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    www.THUNDOOR.com- Visually poetic images and stories that matter
    Epic X #3734, CF Weapon Helium Strummer Bright Tangerine, Sachtler Video 20 S1, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Johnson View Post
    I can’t tell if you are serious. 5-pin Lemo for timecode is pretty much the current industry norm.
    Overkill for a simple sound signal. Give us something simple like a BNC.