Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: New Module Tease From Jarred - November 2018

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Here my guess...

SDI 1 and SDI 2 are 6G.

4K out thru a "Blackmagic Design Mini Converter 6G-SDI to HDMI 4K"

Cheers!!!

G
    HD HOUSE - www.TheHdHouse.com
    info@thehdhouse.com 305-597-7359
    RED DSMC2 Hellium, Gemini & Monstro - ALEXA LF - ALEXA MINI - VARICAM 35 - SONY VENICE
    COOKE S4 & S7 - Arri UltraPrimes - Zeiss SUPREME & CZ Zooms
    COOKE Anamorphics (SF) 25mm, 32, 40, 50, 65 MACRO, 75, 100, 135 & 180mm
    Angenieux Optimo 28-340mm - Angenieux Optimo 19.5-94mm
    Angenieux Optimo STYLE 16-40mm - Angenieux Optimo STYLE 30-76mm
    Canon Cabrio XK 20-120mm - CANON 30-300mm
    3-Wall CYC Studio, Sound & Lighting

I'm intrigued by the USB connection. Think we'd be able to record directly to an external SSD (r3d and/or prores) like you could do with the BMPCC 4k?
    Red Weapon Helium
    GL Optics Leica R
    Nikkor
    Looking forward to finally using my Hydrogen with whatever Komodo is...
    PresidentialFilmPhoto.com
    Cinematography & Fashion/Glamour Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post
    I'm intrigued by the USB connection. Think we'd be able to record directly to an external SSD (r3d and/or prores) like you could do with the BMPCC 4k?
    DSMC2 has had USB on a few modules since the beginning. It can be used to power at 5w currently.

USB might actually be for interfacing with the camera, so no more copying to a mag in order to do upgrades or load LUT's?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Torrie View Post
    USB might actually be for interfacing with the camera, so no more copying to a mag in order to do upgrades or load LUT's?
    Always wished for something like that or an SD slot for LUTs etc.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Meyer View Post
    4k sdi out?
    I wish for this to. But i will not upgrade in quiet a while. Im pretty happy about my current audio solution. But 4k sdi whould be super helpful every day.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Don’t know what we can hope for in this module, but it looks like something I’ll want so please don’t let it cost a small fortune... :)

Honest question. What would you do with a 4k output? People use Red's products in lots of different ways, so I am sure there are scenarios where that would be good, just wondering what they are.

From my point of view, on current production environments, I don't see the point. You can't transmit it. It is of no use on small monitors. I am not aware of any 4k production friendly 17-24" monitors (is 4k even really that big of a deal at those screen sizes ?). Just wondering how it would be utilized.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    Honest question. What would you do with a 4k output? People use Red's products in lots of different ways, so I am sure there are scenarios where that would be good, just wondering what they are.

From my point of view, on current production environments, I don't see the point. You can't transmit it. It is of no use on small monitors. I am not aware of any 4k production friendly 17-24" monitors (is 4k even really that big of a deal at those screen sizes ?). Just wondering how it would be utilized.

Nick
    If I had a 4K output and matching 4K field monitor, I would hope that focusing would be a lot easier. On the HD monitors I use, I still don't trust that I've nailed focus unless I magnify and triple-check. Those HD monitors can be deceiving when shooting higher resolution content. IDK. Maybe I'm misinformed though.
    Cinematographer/Editor/Writer

CinePros | Arterial Pictures
    RED Monstro CF "Baymax+"
    Blackmagic Pocket 4K
    Tokina Vista Primes
    Leica R

In my perfect world we'd have a UHD/4K EVF to facilitate focusing. Having a 7-9" LCD with UHD/4K would simply be an alternative for peeps who don't dig the EVF, again, it's all about focus precision for me. With more and more contracted deliverables at UHD/4K, focus buzzes are abundantly obvious.

With monitors getting ever slimmer, and lighter, I think 24-32" UHD/4K displays can replace the 17-24" 1080 workhorses common on set.

FWIW, even at 1080 I often run BNC to monitor rather than wireless so I can trust what I'm seeing a bit more. Besides, I'm assuming there will still be a 1080 option to feed a wireless hop. I've also been on stages that have large (55-65" LG OLEDs) UHD displays on wheeled stands, HDMI rather than SDI as they are aimed at consumers, so we just hang a mini-converter box on the back.

Bottom line - UHD/4K monitoring may not be critical in 2018, but by 2020, IMO, it will be expected at the high end. Moreover, if the UHD signal is robust enough, it opens the door for using REDs on UHD hard wired live shows as they become more common.

Cheers - #19