Thread: USB-C to HDMI/SDI how?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 USB-C to HDMI/SDI how? 
    I can't find on Apple or Blackmagic's website a cable or box that I can plug into my USB-C connection on my iMac 2017 so as to output HDMI or SDI to a broadcast monitor. Can someone suggest a device that will do this job? Blackmagic used to make a thunderbolt to SDI min box I used on my previous machine but can't find the equivalent for USB-C. I am not looking for a video output that simply mirrors the iMac screen but an independent video stream for applications like Davinci Resolve. Any help appreciated.
    Tom Gleeson

Have you checked out Blackmagic's UltraStudio HD Mini? Seems like one of the better options from some IO via Thunderbolt 3/USB-C if you don't need 4K.
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/...ts/ultrastudio

Scarlet-X DRAGON #64

You can also just use the Mini Monitor with a TB2 to TB3 adapter.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...i_Monitor.html
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

4. #4 Jarek 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Zabczynski View Post
    You can also just use the Mini Monitor with a TB2 to TB3 adapter.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...i_Monitor.html
    Jarek,

So you are suggesting buying the Apple TB3-USBC to TB2 adaptor and then BlackMagic's UltraStudio Mini Monitor will function? Have you tried this as the theory often looks good but reality shows up roadblocks. Blackmagic is often quick to support new standards but apart from the UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 USB-C doesn't seem to be getting the love which is odd as every Mac has these connectors or soon will.
    Tom Gleeson

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gleeson View Post
    Jarek,

So you are suggesting buying the Apple TB3-USBC to TB2 adaptor and then BlackMagic's UltraStudio Mini Monitor will function? Have you tried this as the theory often looks good but reality shows in roadblocks. Blackmagic is often quick to support new standards but apart from the UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 USB-C doesn't seem to be getting the love which is odd as every Mac has these connectors or soon will.

Not personally, I still have an older MBP and the Minimonitor. But I know the adapter works with drives and raid arrays and is bidirectional in most cases so I don't see why it wouldn't. I think Blackmagic recommends it somewhere since they don't make too many TB3 products yet.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

Jarek,

Thanks for the advice but might try and put off purchase until a native USB-C Mini Monitor exists but if I need it for a paid gig I will move forward with your suggestion and report back the results.
    Tom Gleeson

I’ve used the mini recorder with the dongle for DragonFrame stop motion software and SDI.

Just in case anyone’s looking around for the opposite (sdi in to MacBook Pro for instance)

Will try a mini monitor with the dongle.

Funny story - I still like , and use my 2012 MacBook Pro with Nvidia more than my 2017 MacBook Pro with all TB3 ports and Touch Bar.

I think 2012 was a really peak year for what they achieved in MacBook Pros - last of the Nvidia units.

I love AMD CPU’s, less warm on the AMD/ATI GPU - but it’s good that they merged.

Have also used the Thunderbolt 3/USB C dongle to Thunderbolt 2 with Black Magic Mini Monitor on Avid and it worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gleeson View Post
    Jarek,

Thanks for the advice but might try and put off purchase until a native USB-C Mini Monitor exists but if I need it for a paid gig I will move forward with your suggestion and report back the results.
    Yeah I think I would wait for a Thunderbolt3 or USB-C output device that supports 4k.

AJA does have the Io 4K Plus which looks nice but is a bit overkill for many needs. https://www.aja.com/products/io-4k-plus