Thread: Epic with UMC4, record release and timecode input?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Epic with UMC4, record release and timecode input? 
    I'm currently prepping a feature to be shot on Epic Dragon with a Arri UMC 4 brain.
    The UMC 4 is connected to the camera body with a K2.65270.0 UMC to Red cable. This takes up both the sync and ctrl ports on camera.
    The problem is that our sound mixer needs to us ethe sync port on camera for his timecode box, which means we lose the remote record functionality.
    We have tried sending timecode to the UMC 4, but this only records it to the SD card. It does not pass through to camera for syncing with the R3D files.

Does anyone have a solution where we can retain remote recording and also timecode?

Many thanks,

Richy

(sorry in advance if I am wrong as it has been a while and it is not really my part of the job;-) .....but I think that if you pull the Sync cable out of the Epic (from the UMC) and leave the the CTRL in that all will function fine... You will still be able to start stop the camera but you will need to check the video output to check the camera is actually turning over.... the sync cable is there so the UMC knows the cameras is actually running not to start/stop.

PS your audio guy can then get TC into the camera..
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram

Hi Michael. Thanks for your reply. We've tried that already. Unfortunately with the sync cable unplugged the camera won't turn over remotely.
    Given the UMC4 has a TC input I was hoping we'd figure out a way to pass that to the camera.

Hi Richy

Sorry for giving bad info ;-( ....I then asked my assitant and he felt it should def work so we are both wrong..... I felt sure also Arri had explained the UMC needs the Sync to know if the camera is at speed not to start stop.... my bad!

Good luck
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram

Senior Member Andreas Mendritzki's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richy Lacey View Post
    Hi Michael. Thanks for your reply. We've tried that already. Unfortunately with the sync cable unplugged the camera won't turn over remotely.
    Given the UMC4 has a TC input I was hoping we'd figure out a way to pass that to the camera.
    Are you sure? I feel like we've used that set-up and its worked. What do you have your protocol set to for the cntrl input?
    Andreas Mendritzki - cineground.com -
    RED Rentals in Montréal, Canada
    CF Weapon 810
    Epic-X 1239
    Scarlet-X 150
    Red MX 4529
    Leica Summicron-C, Cooke MiniS4, Kowa Anamorphic & more

Either run time code into the UMC4 or just pull the cable, jam time code, put the cable back in for run/stop. If you jam it every couple hours, you’ll be fine.
    ------------
    DP/Colorist
    www.joelvoelker.com
    Seattle, WA