Thread: iPad Pro As Monitor

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 iPad Pro As Monitor 
    Hey...so does anyone know if you can use the new iPad pro as a monitor?

It has a USB C connection, so I figured, HDMI out to USB C could work. That retina display could be awesome. You could theoretically run it as a monitor and use fool control on the iPad to control the camera yeah?

Does anyone know if this is possible?

There are several solutions for this, but most I know of rely on a wireless connection and a receiving app
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no

The new pro can output video over that to an external monitor, whether it can display incoming video i'm not sure.

I can't help feeling the *potential* with these devices is huge. Imagine an incoming image with iPad overlay on it talking back to the camera. Fool control with monitoring. That would be pretty cool.

cheers
    Paul

Yeah all existing options I'm aware of send wireless or wired highly compressed video to the ios/Android device with some lag involved. I use my iPad as a monitor all the time with my teradek clips but I'm not sure I'd use it for color or focus. Due to the compression/resolution and lag.

Perhaps it'd be possible for blackmagic to port their USB intensity capture device to IOS though.
    Noah Yuan-Vogel | noahyv.com

I can take my RED into an apple store and see if they'd let me try?
    RED DSMC2 GEMINI #011030

I would be more interested in RED making an app for iPad Pro that allows me to connect a Red Mini-Mag reader over USB-C and playback and color correct .R3D files. :)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    I would be more interested in RED making an app for iPad Pro that allows me to connect a Red Mini-Mag reader over USB-C and playback and color correct .R3D files. :)
    Connecting shouldn't be a problem. There's no SDK for decoding Red on iOS (I did look a while back ;) ) but your biggest issue is storage really. Where do you store all those R3Ds...

cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    Connecting shouldn't be a problem. There's no SDK for decoding Red on iOS (I did look a while back ;) ) but your biggest issue is storage really. Where do you store all those R3Ds...

cheers
    Paul
    Was thinking more along the lines of just reviewing footage and making basic color corrections that get stored in the sidecar files similar to what Redcine-X is used for but just on a single clip level. You could do this right off the mini-mags if you are brave enough I guess.

When I asked apple about using the iPad Pro as a second monitor for my MacBook Pro through the usb C connection the answer was no. I’ll test it myself but I’m not expecting much .
    Philip Lanyon, Cinematographer

www.philiplanyon.com
    www.seslercompany.com

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Lanyon View Post
    When I asked apple about using the iPad Pro as a second monitor for my MacBook Pro through the usb C connection the answer was no. I’ll test it myself but I’m not expecting much .
    As mentioned before, there are systems like duet which using a lightening cable. I used this with a PC a while back using it in premiere as a second monitor. It sort of worked as well. The nice thing about the iPad Pro is that colour wise it's spot on. Makes for a good monitor (although not with premiere as it has no display colour management...)

So maybe the developers of duet would be able to get more out of the system via USB-C?

cheers
    Paul