Thread: FCPX 10.4.4 and Legacy media not compatible in future Mac os

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 FCPX 10.4.4 and Legacy media not compatible in future Mac os 
    After updating this morning I got a warning saying something like: "Legacy media not compatible in future Mac os". The project was shot on my Epic-W
    Heading over to Apple gave mi this info
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209000

And in the list of supported Red cameras (for the future) I found only Raven , Scarlet-W and Weapon cameras.
    Wonder if this means Epic-w will not be supported in future MacOS upgrades. Seems strange though.

That's odd. R3D is R3D surely? Could it be referring to some old proxy or optimised media that was created for the project?

I'm not a huge FCPX user but i can't see how one flavour of R3D wouldn't work and others would. Makes no sense.

cheers
    Paul

Thats what I'm thinking as well. R3D is R3D. Could be optimized media it was referring to, I didn't use proxy.

Or is it IPP2 only?

I am getting the same thing. I don't se why MX cameras would be excluded. They shoot .r3d....
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 Version 2
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

No worries you also have to update MacOS to use this new version of FCPX, which comes with more restriction to use the beloved NVidia GPU's.
    Another good thing is that it also doesn't support many other (legacy)codecs.

not supporting older codecs sounds like a nightmare to me
    camera operator/ editing / sound / DIT
    specular.productions@gmail.com

Clearly it’s about optimizations but I do think there is some danger in this strategy of forcing users to update the OS in order to use a dot rev update. I’m still stuck at 10.4.0 because 10.4.1 required update to High Sierra which I’m not ready to do yet. I’m sure those dot revs are taking advantage of things in the new OS but I still think this is a slippery slope for Apple. Of course, if you don’t need any of the new feature or bug fixes then you can just stay where you are.
    Steve Sherrick

Hard to argue with Misha's sarcasm on this one. In the bigger picture, one has to wonder how this plays out if Apple is determined to stonewall nVidia GPUs. Could there be a mMP next year that leverages AMD GPUs (or Apple's own chips) to run circles around CUDA/Turing? It's theoretically possible, but in reality...

I prefer OSX over Windows, and it's propensity to take over one's computer for endless "updates" that mostly seem to add annoying crap. That said, if Apple is seriously courting folks like us, and won't support nVidia/CUDA, they better leverage Metal/AMD/A-series/whatever very well.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Hard to argue with Misha's sarcasm on this one. In the bigger picture, one has to wonder how this plays out if Apple is determined to stonewall nVidia GPUs. Could there be a mMP next year that leverages AMD GPUs (or Apple's own chips) to run circles around CUDA/Turing? It's theoretically possible, but in reality...

I prefer OSX over Windows, and it's propensity to take over one's computer for endless "updates" that mostly seem to add annoying crap. That said, if Apple is seriously courting folks like us, and won't support nVidia/CUDA, they better leverage Metal/AMD/A-series/whatever very well.

Cheers - #19
    it's so easy to bypass the auto-update, takes maybe 15 brain cells fireing for 15 seconds....