Thread: Canon C200 or Red Gemini

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Canon C200 or Red Gemini 
    Hi,

I have some money to spend due to an insurance settlement so I have a purchase decision to make and thought people might like to give me their 2 cents.

I can either go;
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Canon C200
    Movi Pro
    Readyrig
    Canon CN 14,24,35,50,85,135mm cine lenses
    DJI Mavic Pro 2

Plus 7k credit to keep on my account for a rainy day.

or;
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Red Gemini -(using Atomos Shogun Flame HDR monitor with side handle for operation)
    Movi Pro
    Canon CN 24,50,85mm cine lenses.

Have to pay an extra 1k.

----------------------------------------------------------------

What do people think?

Here is a link to a blog I have made while testing the cameras and the raw workflows - http://tomjkelly.com/red-gemini-cano...-rawtest-fcpx/

I should have said that I already own a Sony FS7 which im super happy with for all corporate and documentary style work I do. I want this 2nd camera to be something that can help me grow as a visual filmmaker which I can use on commercials and the feature film project that I am shooting in the next 18months.

I formed a pro list for each camera in order of importance;

C200

1.Price
    2.ND Filters built in
    3.More physical buttons on body
    4.Auto Focus
    5. Smaller batteries that last longer and are allowed on aeroplanes.
    6.Waveforms!!
    7.EVF & Monitor comes with it.

Gemini

1. Image Quality
    2. Slow Motion
    3. Bigger sensor to make more use out of my full frame glass
    4. Raw workflow build into FCPX and seems to work better.
    5. Lowlight performance
    6. Integration with Movi Pro
    7. More rental potential
    8. Smaller file sizes
    9. Can use x2 anamorphic lenses

The reasons for the Shogun monitor is to first of all save money on Red screen and EVF 6k! As the screen can been seen in bright sunshine and i prefer using menus with buttons on side handle than on touch screen. Because I already own the Shogun it was the only way of getting close to affording the Gemini, Movi and cine lenses. I will test how that setup works before making a decision though.

Also FYI my equipment list is at the bottom of this page so you can see what I already have. http://tomjkelly.com/freelance-cinematographer/

Best

Tom
    Last edited by Tom J. Kelly; 11-17-2018 at 06:24 AM.

How about the EVA1, with an Atomos recorder for ProResRAW https://www.atomos.com/proresraw (since you use FCPX) instead of the C200?

Gemini is a different league.

Gemini, no brainier for me. Why would you like the Atomos with it too?

Also for the price of CNEs, why not look at getting a set of cinemodded Zeiss or Leica photo lenses?
    Cinematographer, London
    Dragon-X 6K

www.joshbirchfilms.com
    Reel: https://vimeo.com/290364493

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Birch View Post
    Why would you like the Atomos with it too?
    Atomos recorder for ProResRAW recording(12bit RAW), you have a HDR-display that you can use in bright daylight and you have enough resolution(5720x3016) to get a very good de-bayered 4k output.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Birch View Post
    Also for the price of CNEs, why not look at getting a set of cinemodded Zeiss or Leica photo lenses?
    CNE have a great range and are pretty good lenses for the price you pay.

I think it depends on the projects you’re doing.

The Canon C200 is an incredibly versatile camera that you could use on most productions and is well suited for "one man band" or run and gun style projects. The autofocus is amazing and quite usable in certain situations. I love the image quality and color from this camera.

However, RED Gemini would be my first choice if shooting a short film, feature film, commercial etc where there is crew and AC's. The image from the RED just has more "weight" to it... can't really explain it.

I own the C200 and use it for weddings, corporate vids, events, as well as my own smaller projects and short films. I would probably go RED or ARRI for a feature though, in which case I would rent the camera or hire a DP who owns one.

Hope that helps.

If you need 4K 120 fps,C200 isn't the road.

Gemini is superior in DR, sensitivity and recording quality but slower to work with.
    Don't let the price tag mislead you, Gemini is a high end image performance camera.

C200 is not in the same league in overall performance but very very good still and capable for a high quality cinematic imagery while superior in practicality and more suitable for one man run'n gun shooting.

Guys pretty much summed it up, it depends on your dominant projects.
    Both are capable for excellent results, Gemini dominates in peak performance, C200 in usage range and practicality.

If you don't mind working with external recorders FS5mk2 is also worth considering.
    Superior DR to C200, electronic ND and E-mount flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Atomos recorder for ProResRAW recording(12bit RAW), you have a HDR-display that you can use in bright daylight and you have enough resolution(5720x3016) to get a very good de-bayered 4k output.
    16bit 2:1 is superior to 12 bit Prores Raw so that would be a downgrade.
    Even if there was a RAW output.

Thanks guys. Good points.

I should have said that I already own a Sony FS7 which im super happy with for all corporate and documentary style work I do. I want this 2nd camera to be something that can help me grow as a visual filmmaker which I can use on commercials and the feature film project that I am shooting in the next 18months.

I'm starting to think after tests that the image from the C200 isn't a big enough jump from my FS7. The Gemini however is in another league like some of you have said and I didn't expect the IQ to be so much better than the C200. I expected better but not as much as it is. I think its down to better colour separation, micro contrast, amount of colours and the accuracy of the them. Its funny because I had a Scarlet W for a very short time a year ago and really wasn't that blown away by it. The Gemini as well as the Canon C200 seemed to throw out a very pleasing image without much work.

I formed a pro list for each camera in order of importance;

C200

1.Price
    2.ND Filters built in
    3.More physical buttons on body
    4.Auto Focus
    5. Smaller batteries that last longer and are allowed on aeroplanes.
    6.Waveforms!!
    7.EVF & Monitor comes with it.

Gemini

1. Image Quality
    2. Slow Motion
    3. Bigger sensor to make more use out of my full frame glass
    4. Raw workflow build into FCPX and seems to work better.
    5. Lowlight performance
    6. Integration with Movi Pro
    7. More rental potential
    8. Smaller file sizes
    9. Can use x2 anamorphic lenses

The reasons for the Shogun monitor is to first of all save money on Red screen and EVF 6k! As the screen can been seen in bright sunshine and i prefer using menus with buttons on side handle than on touch screen. Because I already own the Shogun it was the only way of getting close to affording the Gemini, Movi and cine lenses. I will test how that setup works before making a decision though.

Also FYI my equipment list is at the bottom of this page so you can see what I already have. http://tomjkelly.com/freelance-cinematographer/

Best

Tom
    Last edited by Tom J. Kelly; 11-17-2018 at 06:24 AM.