Thread: THE LIMIT - VR film review. Tips for Robert Rodriguez on VR Cinematography

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 THE LIMIT - VR film review. Tips for Robert Rodriguez on VR Cinematography 
    That's almost a click bait title, but it's like de-ja-vu all over again of the early days in 3D filmmaking.
    Some thoughts on VR cinematography from a different perspective:
    http://realvision.ae/blog/2018/11/th...ak-everything/

Kind Regards.
    Clyde DeSouza
    --------------------------
    Author: "Think in 3D"
    web:
    3D Knowledgbase
    Twitter:
    @cly3d

Anyone see this? I'm kinda curious but am certain I'll be disappointed. I do think there's something to 180deg VR as a format and I'm all for 3d conversions on big budgets for theatrical release as they can be quite good but I could see VR 3D being a completely different thing. Anyone know what camera and lens they used on this? The fast camera work does strike me as being a problem for VR...

Curious to see where live action VR goes as until recently I was sure it was never going to work. Though volumetric capture and real-time rendered environments do seem much more powerful for actual 6DOF VR storytelling.
    Noah Yuan-Vogel | noahyv.com

" Anyone know what camera and lens they used on this? "
    Red with a (single!) fish eye lens.

The problem with 2D to 3D conversions for VR is, everything is 'up-close' when viewed in a headset; a different kind of 'uncanny valley' rears it's head that is not noticeable in cinema grade conversions. Even if done very well, you lose the binocular (stereoscopic) realism.
    Camera movement is a whole different thing altogether even on steadicam. It's like being on a boat... yet the captain insists it's a hovercraft gliding on a cushion of air.
    Clyde DeSouza
    --------------------------
    Author: "Think in 3D"
    web:
    3D Knowledgbase
    Twitter:
    @cly3d