Thread: Problem with picture/pixels - noticed artifact, any ideas?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Problem with picture/pixels - noticed artifact, any ideas? 
    Hopefully someone can help me with this issue on my RED Scarlet-W. I did a shoot yesterday and this is the first time I have noticed this issue.

I discovered an area where there is a weird artifact that doesn't quite look like dead pixels.

Here is a cropped in video. The artifact is more noticeable when it passes over the glasses frame. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLhT...ature=youtu.be

Does anyone have any ideas? any help appreciated!

I should note that this seems to be present in almost all the clips in the same spot. Also at different zoom levels.

Did you happen to look at your glass (front and back elements) and the OLPF? This is definitely a strange occurrence and I wouldn't rule out optical just yet. If it is a deformation in the glass or a very small drop of water or something, it could be bending the light and the camera is reading those pixels correctly.

That all being said, I personally haven't seen anything like this before.
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W #796

Thanks Brendan, I don't think it is the glass as I was using a 18-35 Sigma f1.8 at different zoom distances and it was present in multiple shots with the same deformation size/location. Or am I wrong? The OLPF looks ok but just in case I am going to give it a once over with some cleaner/sensor swabs that I found recommended from another thread.

looks like mucus or water on the rear element or maybe the olpf. You cant breathe onto glass to clean it and not expect condensation. I always sell used lenses to adorama and they've pointed it out multiple times.

Either way, whatever this is, its close to the sensor, too far from the sensor and you'd only see it super stopped down. A helpful clue will be if you were stopped down a lot or if you were wide open.
    If you were wide open, i'd say its a sensor issue, versus something optical, because it's hard to see sensor flaws wide open. (like checking a dlsr for dust on the sensor)

I was at f3.5! Thanks I shall investigate the rear glass element and the OLPF!

Hello Danny,

I have had different shootings this week using 7.1.0.1 RC, and today I have noticed a lot of dead pixels in my S-W. It has been a completely mess :(
    Returned to 7.0.4 and everything has dissapeared, going to open a ticket right now.

This is an image where the dead pixels areas appear:

And after downgrading the image is all clean:

From here anyone with this bug can see real footage from this link:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...mQ?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Julen De La Serna; 11-29-2018 at 03:26 AM.
    Julen De La Serna| Filmmaker
    Scarlet-W - Zeiss Milvus - Sigma Art
    http://julendls.com

Quote Originally Posted by Julen De La Serna View Post
    Hello Danny,

I have had different shootings this week using 7.1.0.1 RC, and today I have noticed a lot of dead pixels in my S-W. It has been a completely mess :(
    Returned to 7.0.4 and everything has dissapeared, going to open a ticket right now.
    You do a new black shade calibration after upgrading to the newer firmware?
    Red Weapon Helium
    GL Optics Leica R
    Nikkor
    PresidentialFilmPhoto.com
    Cinematography & Fashion/Glamour Photography

You should try and download the new 7.1.0.1 again, because depending on when you downloaded it last, there should have been a fix (the official one is out).

https://www.red.com/downloads/option...ternalId=16152
    You don't have to see something to believe in it, but you have to believe in something to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Julen De La Serna View Post
    Hello Danny,

This is an image where the dead pixels areas appear:

And after downgrading the image is all clean:

From here anyone with this bug can see real footage from this link:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...mQ?usp=sharing
    This was resolved in 7.1.0.1 RC2.
    Upgrading to 7.1.0.1 should resolve this issue (you should still create a new calibration)