Thread: 512 minimag won't mount onto Mac !!

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 512 minimag won't mount onto Mac !! 
    Hi guys

I was wondering if anyone can throw any light on this..... I have a red epic W with the latest firmware installed. I have two red mini mags 512 - and have discovered that one of my cards Will play back in the camera no problem but will not Mount when placed in the card reader on my MacBook Pro I have made sure that I have done a secure format in fat 32 not UDF - I have also checked the pin connections on the card and all look absolutely fine - the cards have been well looked after and in great condition !!
    I have tried using the disk utility on the Mac to see if the card appears there - but it doesn't!!

However one thing I have noticed is as I pull the card out of the reader, the window pops up saying the card has been mounted read-only !!! (this only appears when I pull the card OUT not putting it in !!! WTF..

One thing I have discovered that is very odd, is that if I record onto the card - as it gets towards the end of the card maybe 20% left - the Red Record light changes from being solid red ........ To glowing up and down slowly almost as if it's a low battery warning .

I've tried using the mains supply to the camera and using fully charged red Brick battery...

I don't suppose anyone else has had this issue and whether or not there is something I can do to completely reboot the card in an effort to bring it back from the dead!!

Many thanks

Try changing the cable connecting the reader to the mac pro. Make sure you only have the reader and an external drive to transfer to at most connected to your computer at the same time (as I have had, not enough power being an issue). Never format the card on a computer not that you did but just in case you try that...dont do it. This might be rediculous but I've definitely done some crazy troubleshooting on my own. Well Ill tell you what ive done to get footage back but I would not recommend it. I downloaded REDUNDEAD which is fine then I NOT-SECURE formatted my card IN CAMERA (wiping the data off the card and risked losing the footage forever, I had reasons...) which to some is probably not fine. Then I was able to connect it to my computer (mac) and use rdundead to get it all back and whatever else was on the card not written over. I would format in camera my other card (that is connecting to mac) and then redundead that card to make sure you have a handle on it. Also if you use REDundead there is something you have to write that is not correctly explained on REDS website(unless its been updated) but its like "sudo redundead..." or something instead of "redundead..." as explained the website. Try out other computers PC and Mac though before going to these extremes.

Hey Derrick
    Thanks for your reply.... I have tried changing the connector from the reader to the Mac and I still no joy!! Your other suggestion about trying it maybe using a PC is definitely worth a shot !!
    However whether any of this works or not I have just bought a new card. As even if I can get working again, I'm not sure my nerves could take it !!!
    Redundead is definitely something I need to get my head around.We did make attempts on the day to start setting up redundead .. But with everyone panicking and still having a lot to get through - it was decided our best option at that time, despite the fact there were only a few shots on that card - was to play the images back from the camera into an atmos blade . Admittedly they were only 1920 x 1080 but they had the log3g10/RGBredwidegamut attached - however as the delivery was going to be HD we managed to get away with it!!!

thanks again and I will let you know how I get on trying it in the PC!!

Hey Steve,
    I hope it works out for you and its great to have luck once in a while. A couple times that I had issues with mini mags were due to having the memory card inside the camera while powering down my Epic-W(not my Mysterium-X). Scenarios:

1)Renter pulled out card mid record.

2)Selecting eject the media or card on an LCD screen and forgetting to pull card out before powering down. It caused the card to say it does not work with this camera and would not register on my computer(similar to your situation). I believe the memory "%" changed as well. I formatted the card, "lost" the footage (it then became recognizable on my computer after formatting as well....luck?) and used redundead to get footage back.

3) Pulling out card without ejecting the card(even while not recording).

4)pulling off battery with memory card inside camera (whether the camera was OFF OR ON) caused "this media is unrecognizable..."(basically its saying you cant use it).

I have not had any of these situations happen after experiencing the media issues. I have strict rules with my renters and anyone who touches my cameras. I do not know if firmware updates solved these bugs but I never wanted any of those 4 things to happen again either way. No chances to be taken. NOBODY wants to lose their footage.

Good luck!

We had this problem today, camera died while recording card was unreadable on cameras.Tried macbook where other cards showed up but not the unreadable one.Then tried windows and changed the cable it mounted perfectly.Then we took the card out and put it on mac worked again.Dont know if it was just bad cable or windows.However other cards worked fine with that cable on macbook.
    EPIC-X DRAGON 7424