Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Announcing the RED DSMC2 PRODUCTION MODULE

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Ewok Cubby :)

heh heh heh.. exactly :)

For hot-swapping, you can use a D-Tap to Red power cable. Almost every battery has a D-Tap port. Just plug in to the fresh battery's D-Tap before swapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent@RED View Post
    Brian, some good questions.

Pre-amps - Yes, same specs as REDVOLT Expander.

Wifi - Same solid performance as when the shorter RED top plate is installed. Extra metal does not degrade performance.

Monitor feeds - You can still run the EVF and touch LCD at same time. You can run the MON-1 port and touch LCD at same time. You cannot run EVF and MON-1 port at same time.

Lemo and Side Handle interference - You get clearance with the straight Lemo cables from those ports. Right angle connectors have even more clearance.

Teradek Bolt - The antennae of the Bolt do not work work with the Production Top Plate. Plus, the Bolt will take the feed that the EVF / MON-1 port uses.
    Brent,

Thanks for clarifying!

(And Ketch per his conversation with Teradek)

Will be looking for that release date for this module outfitted with an Anton Bauer gold mount.

Realizing I may need to wait until DSMC3, please consider producing a module like this which includes a SuperSlot.
    The ability to have two channels of wireless audio within the camera body will be of immense benefit.
    Nice way to make use of the other two channels available for recording in the menu.

4.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Arvidsson View Post
    Does it do 4k out?
    No, sir.

Are we EVER going to see a small XLR audio module or is that not how any of this works?

...Teradek Bolt - The antennae of the Bolt do not work work with the Production Top Plate. Plus, the Bolt will take the feed that the EVF / MON-1 port uses.
    Well I figure that much :)

So either way we loose the EVF when using the Teradek DSMC2 Bolt, but since I am not looking to use EVF in my next production set ups, then it would work perfectly fine while loosing the Mon-1 on the Production Module.

But will have to do some test set up first to see how it all is going to work together.
    F I L M M A K E R

Curious about the location and orientation of the headphone jack (pointing downward), I see many headphone cables getting ripped this way... other than that looks solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Farokhzad View Post
    Curious about the location and orientation of the headphone jack (pointing downward), I see many headphone cables getting ripped this way...
    I keep a pair of relatively inexpensive set of foldable Bose headphones for non-critical monitoring. The cord has a breakaway feature that has come into play perhaps a dozen times.

This is one situation where a magnetic breakaway at the camera would be advantageous.
    (Think like the magsafe power on MacBook Pros)

Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    Brian, some good questions.

Pre-amps - Yes, same specs as REDVOLT Expander.

Wifi - Same solid performance as when the shorter RED top plate is installed. Extra metal does not degrade performance.

Monitor feeds - You can still run the EVF and touch LCD at same time. You can run the MON-1 port and touch LCD at same time. You cannot run EVF and MON-1 port at same time.

Lemo and Side Handle interference - You get clearance with the straight Lemo cables from those ports. Right angle connectors have even more clearance.

Teradek Bolt - The antennae of the Bolt do not work work with the Production Top Plate. Plus, the Bolt will take the feed that the EVF / MON-1 port uses.
    The WiFi performance has not been solid, in my experience. It s failed me several times on, for example a russian arm when doing car to car and trying to do just run/stop on foolcontrol with an iPhone X from inside the vehicle.

It would be a great tool if it was reliable, but it is not.
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens Jakob Thorsen View Post
    The WiFi performance has not been solid, in my experience. It s failed me several times on, for example a russian arm when doing car to car and trying to do just run/stop on foolcontrol with an iPhone X from inside the vehicle.

It would be a great tool if it was reliable, but it is not.
    Not going to dive deeply into this, but, obviously, there are a lot factors on coverage, and Mikael outlines them as part of his foolcontrol FAQs. I give you that "solid" is a relative term, fine, but the intent of my post was to indicate that our PRODUCTION TOP PLATE gives the equivalent wifi performance as our standard TOP PLATE - which was the question asked by the poster. And, note, our TOP PLATE exceeds the range of other RED-compatible top plates we have tested, sometimes by 4x.

If you would like to continue the conversation over PM, happy to, as I don't want to put this thread down a rabbit hole : )