Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DSMC2 Unified Dragon-X

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Is there a difference between a sensor upgrade and a sensor swap??

Because I see there is an option for a sensor upgrade from Dragon-X to Gemini for $5k.

I'm currently Scarlet-W and would like to eventually be Gemini. Can't afford the $12.5k today. But If I upgraded to the Dragon-X now for $5k and then sometime later had the option to upgrade to the Gemini for $5k... then that might be a sell for me.
    Your friendly Neighborhood REDuser
    Scarlet-W# 77
    http://spencerweaver.com/

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent@RED View Post
    Any and all official upgrade paths are always found here.
    Yes, I know there's still an upgrade path, but are there any plans to end this upgrade path any time soon? Or is this open in order to always have a door open for all owners into the unified path?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Links
    Epic Dragon & Canon CN-E street test
    Red Epic - Noise Reduction Test - Stockholm 2014
    Red Epic - Stockholm HDRx Test

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Yes, I know there's still an upgrade path, but are there any plans to end this upgrade path any time soon? Or is this open in order to always have a door open for all owners into the unified path?
    Brent said not days, not weeks, probably months :) and then they're gonna discontinue the old "dsmc2" line with no ipp2 support. You can even buy the Raven Sigma Kit with the dragon-x, and I think they're going more premium, the "original" raven price was crazy low.

The only strange thing it's that they didn't go 6k with the dragon. It was S35, almost identical to gemini sensor size, maybe it was too good to be their entry level dsmc2 ipp2 camera eheh ;)
    Sciukka - RED Raven #001325

These are my other thoughts on how the math might look for Scarlet-W owners (and some notes on Raven owners)

$12.5 gets you a Gemini
    $5k gets you Dragon-X

The dragon-x bascially gets you IPP2 and higher frame rates/bitrate/better compression

or you can spend $15k out right (just $2.5k more than the gemini upgrade) and buy the Dragon-X outright

***And walk away with TWO cameras***

So, if you're Scarlet-W with a dragon sensor... it either makes sense to stay where you are or buy a Dragon-X outright letting your Scarlet-W become a backup or 2nd camera - both with matching sensors. One with better frame rates and IPP2.

If you're a Raven owner and want to upgrade, again you're possibly better off buying the Dragon-X outright and letting your Raven fall into the roll of backup/2nd camera.

Lots of thoughts on this for sure.

For the Scarlet-W owner Is IPP2 and faster framer rates alone worth $5k? On one hand, it certainly could be. There is also potential seen and unforeseen value in being in the "unified" DMSC2 system.

Thoughts?
    Your friendly Neighborhood REDuser
    Scarlet-W# 77
    http://spencerweaver.com/

I don't really understand the point, for a Scarlet-W owner, to upgrade to this. Unified DSCM2 ? What's the point, all the current accessories already work with the Scarlet-W. You spend $5K to get the same picture, maybe higher frame rates ? It's quite confusing but I'm not an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Weaver View Post
    These are my other thoughts on how the math might look for Scarlet-W owners (and some notes on Raven owners)

$12.5 gets you a Gemini
    $5k gets you Dragon-X

The dragon-x bascially gets you IPP2 and higher frame rates/bitrate/better compression

or you can spend $15k out right (just $2.5k more than the gemini upgrade) and buy the Dragon-X outright

***And walk away with TWO cameras***

So, if you're Scarlet-W with a dragon sensor... it either makes sense to stay where you are or buy a Dragon-X outright letting your Scarlet-W become a backup or 2nd camera - both with matching sensors. One with better frame rates and IPP2.

If you're a Raven owner and want to upgrade, again you're possibly better off buying the Dragon-X outright and letting your Raven fall into the roll of backup/2nd camera.

Lots of thoughts on this for sure.

For the Scarlet-W owner Is IPP2 and faster framer rates alone worth $5k? On one hand, it certainly could be. There is also potential seen and unforeseen value in being in the "unified" DMSC2 system.

Thoughts?
    yeah, it's mind boggling, and doesn't make any financial sense for this upgrade for either camera I see. this is certainly not unifying anyone. I thought the whole point was a big incentive to consolidate red and their companies work and service flow. this won't do it and I know no one that will go this path, there is definitely no incentive.

You can't leave out the benefits of ProRes 422 HQ at 4K and Avid DNxHR HQX at 4K, plus monitoring 33-cubed LUTs, and a lighter BRAIN; on top of all the higher frame rate, lower compression, and IPP2 options.
    You don't have to see something to believe in it, but you have to believe in something to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin Stewart View Post
    I don't really understand the point, for a Scarlet-W owner, to upgrade to this. Unified DSCM2 ? What's the point, all the current accessories already work with the Scarlet-W. You spend $5K to get the same picture, maybe higher frame rates ? It's quite confusing but I'm not an expert.
    Well one of the major advantages is the sensor upgrade and/or swap deal through RED ARMOR. You’re also buying into the ability to keep upgrading it later on.

But of course, that’s also a money question. And keeping the Scarlet-W and just buying a new camera whenever you feel like it is always a valid option 😉
    Something witty this way comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Grossien View Post
    Well one of the major advantages is the sensor upgrade and/or swap deal through RED ARMOR.
    What do you mean by "swap deal through RED ARMOR" ? Because I have RED ARMOR for my Scarlet-W.

Quote Originally Posted by Luca Perin View Post
    Brent said not days, not weeks, probably months :) and then they're gonna discontinue the old "dsmc2" line with no ipp2 support. You can even buy the Raven Sigma Kit with the dragon-x, and I think they're going more premium, the "original" raven price was crazy low.

The only strange thing it's that they didn't go 6k with the dragon. It was S35, almost identical to gemini sensor size, maybe it was too good to be their entry level dsmc2 ipp2 camera eheh ;)
    Could always be a reason, but of course sensor yield is another big thing in keeping the price down. And it might not be the perfect choice for current scarlet-w owners, but it makes more sense for RED in keeping everything unified and reducing part costs by bigger bulk purchases. And through that every RED owner wins in the long run. Phasing out the scarlet and offering a new entry priced unified DSMC2 brain makes total sense! Even if current Scarlet-W owners don’t want to take the upgrade road. And don’t forget - it’s a nice offer if you feel like you’d rather had bought the X instead of the Scarlet-W. For everyone else, just stick to what you got. Your current picture quality is going nowhere.
    Something witty this way comes.