Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DSMC2 Unified Dragon-X

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristin Stewart View Post
    What do you mean by "swap deal through RED ARMOR" ? Because I have RED ARMOR for my Scarlet-W.

Sorry, RED ARMOR W!
    https://support.red.com/hc/en-us/art...27-RED-ARMOR-W
    Something witty this way comes.

Scarlet-W was not part of the ARMOR-W offer, because the internal boards can’t carry the data load for the „bigger” sensors.

More thoughts...

This could actually a good deal for Raven owners who fit a certain category. For instance: I was originally a Raven pre-order for $6k.... for the price of $4k more I changed my pre-order to the Scarlet-W becuase I wanted the ability to swap lens mounts. (the 5K was also important to get to the super35 crop range) My thought at the time was I'll spend the money "in case" I ever need to swap lens mounts. And I'm glad I did that.

Now, for original Raven Pre-order owners who decided not to make that decision back then... here is your chance again! And you can get into this Dragon-X DSMC2 unified system for actually a little less $$$ than I can!

Today your total paid would be $6k + $8.5k for the Dragon-X

Whereas an original Scarlet-W order would land at $10K + $5k

So basically... you've had a much lower risk this entire time and if during all this time you've decided that hey you don't actually need the ability to swap lens mounts and you're cool with the 4.5k and your frame rates.... then there is no reason for you to switch. Stay as you are.

But if you've outgrown your Raven and your business model has proven that... then, by all means, this upgrade is killer for you and a great way to go "next level"

In other words... if I hadn't made the decision to upgrade my pre-order from Raven to Scarlet-W all those moons ago... I would be ALL OVER THIS and totally upgrade now.

The reasons to go from Raven to Dragon-X are huge!

However, I'm still thinking the line between the function of the Scarlet-W and the Dragon-X is a much finer line in my mind.
    Your friendly Neighborhood REDuser
    Scarlet-W# 77
    http://spencerweaver.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shaeden Gallegos View Post
    You can't leave out the benefits of ProRes 422 HQ at 4K and Avid DNxHR HQX at 4K, plus monitoring 33-cubed LUTs, and a lighter BRAIN; on top of all the higher frame rate, lower compression, and IPP2 options.
    And this!!!

Thanks Patrick, I start to see the light thanks to you

But I guess it's still not appealing if you concentrate on the picture you can already produce with a Scarlet-W.

I don’t know, I thought they would go for the lower end and phase out the Raven with its cropped sensor. Other than the used market, there’s no starting point for the RED ecosystem anymore. This is just another camera that’s now only $5,000 more than that camera I already couldn’t afford. Oh well, if it helps lower the used market price of DSMC1 Epic cameras then at least that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin Stewart View Post
    Thanks Patrick, I start to see the light thanks to you

But I guess it's still not appealing if you concentrate on the picture you can already produce with a Scarlet-W.
    Sure, the line between Scarlet-W and and X is a fine one, but it’s still undeniably better. If there’s a desire to upgrade everybody has to decide and weigh in for themselves. But it’s cool, that RED still continues to offer the trade-ins! So everybody has a choice.

Just starting to catch on to this clam bake.

but the difference in brain's cost is 8950 for the raven and 14950 for the dragon x.
    only a $6k difference. and for scarlets it's only like a 2k difference.

not to mention with the raven you need to buy a mount, so there's another 1k.

so 9500 to upgrade the raven. wow.

makes way more sense to sell then to upgrade. I also just thought this would be helping out red just as much as it will be helping out customers.
    so, yeah, I don't know. doesn't make sense for anyone I know.
    Last edited by jordan levy; 11-29-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Birlew View Post
    I don’t know, I thought they would go for the lower end and phase out the Raven with its cropped sensor. Other than the used market, there’s no starting point for the RED ecosystem anymore. This is just another camera that’s now only $5,000 more than that camera I already couldn’t afford.

The used market IS a good starting point. Or buy a cheap(er) competitors camera, work your way up and get your dream camera once you’re there. RED’s decision to do it the way they did is absolutely the best way IMHO (the unification I mean) If they find a new way to create a starter package for 9.900$ some day, I still believe they should do it. But not if that means all the other cameras have to become more expensive because of that. Which is basically the way it was before the unified situation.