Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DSMC2 Unified Dragon-X

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    I'm very confused. As a Scarlet-W user, what adds this camera to the lineup? My Scarlet-W has a 5K Sensor, and support IPP2 in post, not in camera. I know that this new camera offers IPP2 in camera and more recording speed, because the processor is faster. But in terms of image quality, the Dragon of my Scarlet-W and the dragon inside this Dragon-X is the same?
    Julen De La Serna| Filmmaker
    Scarlet-W - Zeiss Milvus - Sigma Art
    http://julendls.com

Quote Originally Posted by Julen De La Serna View Post
    I'm very confused. As a Scarlet-W user, what adds this camera to the lineup? My Scarlet-W has a 5K Sensor, and support IPP2 in post, not in camera. I know that this new camera offers IPP2 in camera and more recording speed, because the processor is faster. But in terms of image quality, the Dragon of my Scarlet-W and the dragon inside this Dragon-X is the same?
    Yes. It seems that basically the end game is that the Dragon-X takes the place of the Scarlet-W in the DSMC2 line up. And although there is many ways in which this is a lateral move... there are a few areas that the Dragon-X departs from the Scarlet-W. i.e. frame rates, processing speeed, compression, built in IPP2 support, future upgrade options, etc.

Lower compression ratios do mean the ability to achieve better image quality with this camera. However, it's still the same awesome Dragon sensor flavor you already have in the Scarlet-W
    Your friendly Neighborhood REDuser
    Scarlet-W# 77
    http://spencerweaver.com/

Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    From Scarlet-W :
    IPP2, compression is better, frame rates are better, Better Proxies, LUT size from 17 to 33

From Raven :
    IPP2, compression is better, frame rates are better, interchangeable mount, interchangeable OLPF, higher resolution, actual Proxies, LUT from none to 33.

That's something.
    On the image quality, the IPP2 can improve your live feed. The actual recorded picture will be the same though, but for clients, having a better live picture is quite fine already.

The camera is basically becoming a Carbon Fiber Weapon in 5k. for 5k. As soon as I have the money, I'll upgrade.

for $3k I wouldn't have even given it a thought... I would just do it. It makes so much sense.
    for $4k I would have to think a little bit, but it's too hard not to pull the trigger.
    for $5k there is just too many question marks. And it's harder to justify even though all the pros of the upgrade are really nice!

All that said, we can't expect for them to just give us a new camera and all new hardware for free! So, the $5k is not really unreasonable. But, like others have said, it's not enough incentive to cause a lot of people to pull the trigger without pause.
    Scarlet-W# 77

I totally agree, for $3K it would have been a no brainer update, even $4K, but I think you can invest $5K in other important things like lenses or lighting, instead of adding a little higher frame rates and better processors. All the actual DSMC2 accessories are completely supported by the S-W.
    Julen De La Serna| Filmmaker
    Scarlet-W - Zeiss Milvus - Sigma Art
    http://julendls.com

Senior Member Brent G Miller Jr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Weaver View Post
    for $3k I wouldn't have even given it a thought... I would just do it. It makes so much sense.
    for $4k I would have to think a little bit, but it's too hard not to pull the trigger.
    for $5k there is just too many question marks. And it's harder to justify even though all the pros of the upgrade are really nice!

All that said, we can't expect for them to just give us a new camera and all new hardware for free! So, the $5k is not really unreasonable. But, like others have said, it's not enough incentive to cause a lot of people to pull the trigger without pause.
    +1 all of the way. For $3K I would trade in my 2 Scarlet-W brains without even thinking twice. Especially since I'm currently in the middle of a couple of production already dedicated to the Dragon sensor.
    Brent Miller Jr.
    Executive Director, Ingenuity Films LLC
    www.IngenuityFilms.com

Theaters 2019. Narrated by Kevin Sorbo:
    www.BeforeTheWrath.com

Quote Originally Posted by Julen De La Serna View Post
    I totally agree, for $3K it would have been a no brainer update, even $4K, but I think you can invest $5K in other important things like lenses or lighting, instead of adding a little higher frame rates and better processors. All the actual DSMC2 accessories are completely supported by the S-W.
    Exactly. Now, if you were buying new today and didn't own anything... then yeah, maybe I would spend just a tad more and get the Dragon-X.

Or if there was some type of other incentive like upgrade and get a credit towards a 480 minimag so that you can take advanage of that faster read/write speed and achieve lower compression....

I don't know... like I said... too much to think about and weigh. It's not an easy automatic decision. And part of it is just that the Scarlet-W has always been a bit of a unicorn! It's just a great sweet spot and a great camera.
    Scarlet-W# 77

Scarlet-W > Dragon-X = $4,950
    Dragon-X > Gemini= $4,950

Total cost from Scarlet-W to Gemini is $9,900.

Scarlet-W > Gemini = $12,500

...?

The "budget" Gemini upgrade?
    Scarlet-W #3613

Marketing Coordinator | Keslow Camera
    zachary@keslowcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Patino View Post
    Great! This is probably the rout I’ll want to go :)

[QUOTE=Zachary Patino;1833284]Scarlet-W > Dragon-X = $4,950
    Dragon-X > Gemini= $4,950

Scarlet-W > Gemini = $12,500

...?

The "budget" Gemini upgrade?[/QUOTE

but there is only a $7k difference btwn the price of the brains.