Thread: Weapon 6k Dragon - Unified body upgrade

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Weapon 6k Dragon - Unified body upgrade 
    Hello,

Now that Dragon-X has landed wich is basically a Dragon 5k upgrade path for Scarlet-W folks, there has been concern for us Weapon Dragon 6k user to get to the unified body path keeping our gorgeous Dragon 6k sensor.

I've been told months ago that we can get the upgraded body but keeping the Dragon 6k without using the 5k Gemini sensor.

I hope this still holds true but reading Brent's comment made me shiver. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bass View Post
    LOVE that the Dragon is in the Unified body! Jarred - It would be extra awesome if 6k Dragon DSMC2 owners - carbon/magnesium could also get the UNIFIED BODY:) !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent@RED View Post
    There are paths for those folks to get into DSMC2, sure (https://www.red.com/upgrade-eligibility) albeit with different sensor options.

If you are saying going into DSMC2 DRAGON-X from those cameras, you do drop down from 6K to 5K. There is no current iteration of DSMC2 brain with 6K DRAGON, only 5K DRAGON-X.

Now looking at Jarred 1rst post make me think it's impossible...

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    You guys kept asking for it so we finally brought the Dragon into the unified DSMC2 camera system.
    Redesigned the sensor board to accomodate on camera IPP2. Increased data speeds courtesy of the unified DSMC2 boards.
    To me, the only upgrade to the Dragon sensor (6k resolution/texture/crop factor) would be a S35mm+ (30.07mmx18.7mm) cut from the Monstro.
    I would be the first to upgrade my camera.

What are your thoughts?

Pat

You make a good point but can I ask what is wrong with your weapon 6k dragon? Outside of IPP2 monitoring?

Hello Michael,

You also make a good point. Weapon Dragon 6k is a great camera. ;-)

But I have the Magnesium model and having a bit more horse power, for different frame rates, (perhaps lowering the heat generation for lower fan speed), future proofing the color pipeline with a IPP2 only future, and also beeing able to upgrade to a new power hungry sensor are my main concerns.

Now if Red comes with a unified body S35mm 6k Monstro-X upgrade for 15'000.-- I'm ready to go for it. Will it be DSMC3?

Pat

There is such little diffence bettween CF and MG that perhaps Red can offer a very low cost upgrade of boards alone....?

Dragon 6k in a CF or MG body has probably created the best red images I have ever seen...

Patrick,

Looks like we missed that Magnesium Weapon DSMC2 to Unified DSMC2 window that was possible when the unified body was first released.
    I was just told by Brent that there simply isn't firmware to make that work at the moment....however I would guess if enough of us asked for it we could talk Jarred into it:).

Im with you on the upgrade Magnesium Weapon to Unified body - 6K is really the sweet spot for me, so having the new body for lower compression and future upgrade paths would be the ideal solution. I actually have a Scarlet W as a B Camera and can't decide if I should upgrade that a Scarlet X or just get another Magnesium Body...what would you guys do? Scarlet X or Magnesium 6k?

But you can't buy any Magnesium 6k anymore...

You can find them for sale USED:)

Hi Patrick,

I am in the same boat. I really like my WeaponMG. I dont see an upgrade at the moment, that I would like to do for a jump to DMSC2 Unified.

Dragon-X. No. I really see no improvements for me. RED is this also not offering as an option

Gemiini. No. Too expensive. Yes. I like the low-light-possibilities. But I have learned to shoot with Dragon :-)

Helium. RED is this not offering this as an option. I really prefer Dragon 6K. I would not upgrade

Monstro. RED is this not offering as an option. At the moment this is also much too expensive for me.

Hopefully WeaponMG 6K lives a long time.
    Norbert Niederacher
    Weapon MG, Schneider Xenon Primes, Angenieux EZ1 + EZ2

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    There is such little diffence bettween CF and MG that perhaps Red can offer a very low cost upgrade of boards alone....?

Dragon 6k in a CF or MG body has probably created the best red images I have ever seen...
    Brent had mentioned a long while ago on the Gemini upgrade thread that we MG owners could just upgrade the boards for something like $4,950, but suggested we do the extra $2k for the Gemini sensor since it'd get us the newest tech and into IPP2.

I do love my MG, and don't currently feel any of the upgrade paths, boards-only even, speak to me, though I'll admit I don't know what options the boards-only upgrade gets us aside from slightly faster RW speeds to the mags?

Quote Originally Posted by Norbert Niederacher View Post
    Hi Patrick,

I am in the same boat. I really like my WeaponMG. I dont see an upgrade at the moment, that I would like to do for a jump to DMSC2 Unified.

Dragon-X. No. I really see no improvements for me. RED is this also not offering as an option

Gemiini. No. Too expensive. Yes. I like the low-light-possibilities. But I have learned to shoot with Dragon :-)

Helium. RED is this not offering this as an option. I really prefer Dragon 6K. I would not upgrade

Monstro. RED is this not offering as an option. At the moment this is also much too expensive for me.

Hopefully WeaponMG 6K lives a long time.
    That’s strange. I swear RED were offering an upgrade path for Weapon MG owners to Helium 8K, yet I can’t find it now...