Thread: Major Color Grade Bug in Premiere - HELP

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Major Color Grade Bug in Premiere - HELP 
    Senior Member Brent G Miller Jr's Avatar
    (Scarlet-W 5K R3D 7:1 footage)

I have the oddest problem and really need help from the RED community as I can not figure out how to correct this. I graded all of our RED footage from shooting on set in Redcine-X and saved the RMD files. I then created a new Premier CC (2017) project and imported the R3D files. For quite awhile, all of the clips imported loaded perfectly - displaying the proper grade from the master file tabs - recognizing IPP2 color, the associated LUT etc, etc... Then one day most of the clips imported loaded so that the grades looked WAY off even though the master tab data still listed all of the correct RMD data.

I tried clicking on "Reload from RMD" from the master clip tab and nothing works. I opened the same clip back up in RedCine-X (including right clicking on the clip in the timeline and selected "edit original") to make sure the Metadata didn't change and sure enough, it looks perfect so this is clearly an issue with Premiere not loading something correctly.

To father confuse the matter, this issue doesn't happen 100% of the time either. Every now and then Premiere will load the same timeline and all of the grading will look as it should... then the next time the timeline closed and opened again it's all screwed up. Additionally, the clips that are affected can also be intermittent with some looking as they should and some being messed up on the same timeline.

This issue is also not limited to a specific LUT either. Some clips that have basic correction with no LUTs are also being loaded now with completely incorrect color.

Has anyone else experienced this issue since Premiere was updated with IPP2 support? Please ask for any more information that's needed.

Below are two screenshots. The top shot shows what the grading is suppose to look like. The lower shot is how it looks now that Premiere is "messing up" clip...

Brent Miller Jr.
    Executive Director, Ingenuity Films LLC
    www.IngenuityFilms.com

Theaters 2019. Narrated by Kevin Sorbo:
    www.BeforeTheWrath.com

Looks like a legal/full issue. You first image (the "correct" one) is in legal range. Your second one is full range. Your task is to figure out whether this is a source problem (unlikely) or a setup that is not legalizing the output from Premiere.

I'm fairly sure that's not what's happening. These clips are screen grabs directly from the timeline and not exports. The issue is also intermittent. Premiere will load correctly on some occasions and entirely mess up the grades on others.

Here is another example where virtually zero changes were made to the metadata via Redcine-X (and using no LUT) and imported into Premiere. Again, the clip loaded and displayed perfectly for weeks and then all of a sudden, Premiere begins messing up the color for seemingly no reason...

Last edited by Brent G Miller Jr; 12-03-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    Brent Miller Jr.
    www.IngenuityFilms.com

www.BeforeTheWrath.com

So... I started a brand new project, imported the first clip that's posted here in this topic and it imports perfectly (being a new file which is consistent)... close premiere without saving, open the timeline that contained all of the messed up grades and boom, it now loads all of the correct grades on the clips. As I stated, it's intermittent and random. It seems to be a bug with Premiere?

Any ideas on how to correct this?
    Last edited by Brent G Miller Jr; 12-03-2018 at 10:59 AM.
    Brent Miller Jr.
    www.IngenuityFilms.com

www.BeforeTheWrath.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brent G Miller Jr View Post
    Any ideas on how to correct this?
    I really want to tell you not to use Premiere for grading and instead use a more serious program like Baselight or Resolve or something like that... but I don't mean to threadcrap.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    I really want to tell you not to use Premiere for grading and instead use a more serious program like Baselight or Resolve or something like that... but I don't mean to threadcrap.
    I'm not using Premiere to grade. Please re-read.
    Brent Miller Jr.
    www.IngenuityFilms.com

www.BeforeTheWrath.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brent G Miller Jr View Post
    I'm not using Premiere to grade. Please re-read.
    "I graded all of our RED footage from shooting on set in Redcine-X and saved the RMD files. I then created a new Premier CC (2017) project and imported the R3D files."

OK, what happens if you import these same files into Resolve? Does the color then resemble what you did in Redcine-X Pro?

In general, we generally throw that look out in final color and just match the look using other tools. The reason why is that the tools in Redcine-X don't have the control we do in dedicated software. Sometimes, you need a scalpel and not a hatchet.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Well it's worth noting what your doing is unusual. So your grading in RCX by simply adjusting the metadata, and then bringing these clips back into Premiere?

Normally you would color in Resolve or RCX and export graded masters in a non RAW format such as Quicktime or MXF, and then relink via EDL/AAF so this confusion doesn't possible.

My guess is premiere may have cached your metadata somewhere, and could be getting confused by your new (graded) meta-data adjustments.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Nick, thank you for the input, but these days it's entirely kosher to import R3D files directly into premiere and adjust metadata/color via the master file tab - in fact, if you apply a LUT, right now you must do it in RCX because Premiere does not natively have a browse LUT drop down if it's not applied through RCX first. It should not have any issues at all - in fact, Premiere can read and overwrite the same RMD file that RCX uses. This way, we have some more flexibility by keeping the native detail and resolution for an early rough cut as appose to rendering out a burnt-in grade via RCX which we would do in 4K Prores.

For now, we have a rough cut of the trailer going to some theater partners before Christmas so I'm just doing it the old way of rendering out Prores files from RCX with the grade - but there's got to be someone who is experiencing this same issue?
    Last edited by Brent G Miller Jr; 12-03-2018 at 02:04 PM.
    Brent Miller Jr.
    www.IngenuityFilms.com

www.BeforeTheWrath.com

It also looks at though Premier is generating a LOT of "AEVideoFilter:29" errors.
    Brent Miller Jr.
    www.IngenuityFilms.com

www.BeforeTheWrath.com