Thread: Major Color Grade Bug in Premiere - HELP

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Brent G Miller Jr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Winokur View Post
    Have you checked to see if there is anything in the lumetri panel that's acting on top of the master settings? If that's all good, then try reloading the RMD in the master tab. Put this in the guess category but I think going back and forth between Redcine and Premiere the metadata can be out of sync.
    Thank you for the suggestion but I've tried all of that. Lumitri is not being used on any clips and doesn't seem to be affecting anything. I've attempted to reload RMD through the master tab and still nothing. I've even opened up the folder location of a clip, manually deleted the RMD, opened up RCX, re-implemented the grading and re-saved the file and re-loaded the new RMD though Premiere and nothing... It almost seems like a cache issue other than Premiere will randomly load it correctly and sometimes not... and then sometimes, the correct color will pop back onto a clip while editing... It's literally all over the place.

Even with the latest update to PP 2019 it still does the exact same thing.
    Brent Miller Jr.
    Executive Director, Ingenuity Films LLC
    www.IngenuityFilms.com

Theaters 2019. Narrated by Kevin Sorbo:
    www.BeforeTheWrath.com

Have you tried deleting all Premiere related Cashe files?
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2152942

You could as well try to export an xml file, start a new project and import the xml, if anything in the Project is corrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Konrad View Post
    Have you tried deleting all Premiere related Cashe files?
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2152942

You could as well try to export an xml file, start a new project and import the xml, if anything in the Project is corrupted.
    Funny, I was just talking about that with someone a second ago. I'm going to try and wipe out all of the cache files and have Premiere reload the project. One thing for sure though is that the project is not corrupted. There are too many reasons that prove it's not. This is an issue with IPP2 and PP with importing RMD and seated LUT files.
    Brent Miller Jr.
    www.IngenuityFilms.com

www.BeforeTheWrath.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brent G Miller Jr View Post
    I'm not using Premiere to grade. Please re-read.
    "I graded all of our RED footage from shooting on set in Redcine-X and saved the RMD files. I then created a new Premier CC (2017) project and imported the R3D files."

OK, what happens if you import these same files into Resolve? Does the color then resemble what you did in Redcine-X Pro?

In general, we generally throw that look out in final color and just match the look using other tools. The reason why is that the tools in Redcine-X don't have the control we do in dedicated software. Sometimes, you need a scalpel and not a hatchet.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

You can import a project into a new project which sometimes cleans up issues. One of the questions would be whether PPro is storing meta data in the project file. You can save an XML and open it in a text editor and maybe see what's actually in there.

I assume there's been no version update during this process (sounds like not)

Deleting all the cache files make sense.

Do you render the timeline, or just let it play? How are you dealing with the actual editing process - proxies? I doubt you're playing 8K direct, right?

Does Premiere have access to the LUTs being applied, are they all copied into the R3D folders?

The intermittent nature is the red flag. Does it only happen to those R3Ds which have a LUT applied in Redcine? I've certainly seen issues in the past with LUTs applied as part of the R3D meta data.

cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    You can import a project into a new project which sometimes cleans up issues. One of the questions would be whether PPro is storing meta data in the project file. You can save an XML and open it in a text editor and maybe see what's actually in there.

I assume there's been no version update during this process (sounds like not)

Deleting all the cache files make sense.

Do you render the timeline, or just let it play? How are you dealing with the actual editing process - proxies? I doubt you're playing 8K direct, right?

Does Premiere have access to the LUTs being applied, are they all copied into the R3D folders?

The intermittent nature is the red flag. Does it only happen to those R3Ds which have a LUT applied in Redcine? I've certainly seen issues in the past with LUTs applied as part of the R3D meta data.

cheers
    Paul
    Thanks Paul! I'll have to try those suggestions.

There actually has been a revision update during this process from CC2018 to CC2019 and the bug actually remains the same in CC2019. Both version will intermittently load the files correctly and then for no reason decide to mess them all up.

We don't have to render the timelines or use proxies to edit. Everything runs in full res at regular speed without issue. We're only using 5K Scarlet-W footage.

Yes, the LUT's are saved by RCX in each clip's R3D folder where the RMD file is.

Surprisingly NO, even R3D clips without any LUTs applied will also intermittently mess up where the color is WAY off. That's why this all sounds like a bug where PP is clearly becoming confused somehow with IPP2. It does't make any sense.
    Brent Miller Jr.
    www.IngenuityFilms.com

www.BeforeTheWrath.com

Brent,

I'm experiencing the same issue with PP. Its a bit frustrating especially when some clips are affected while others are not in the same timeline.

Adam
    www.cinebeck.com
    Director of Photography