Thread: Is MX "Good Enough?"

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Dragon sensor was a huge improvement over the MX sensor, if you can get your hands on one I would go with the Dragon.

I took a plunge into red earlier this year with an Epic MX that had about 74 hours on it. Have since added another 350 hours to it and it has been solid. It is heavy, it can be a little slow, but the image does not disappoint. Clients have commented that our images look 'three dimensional' - these clients are not very well versed in video technology, so to them red or no red makes little difference, but the quality of our productions has gone up dramatically since using this camera.

That being said, we are looking to upgrade to a DSMC2 system for the sole reason of weight. I'm a solo gimbal operator with often little chance to wear an easyrig, so switching from Epic MX on a ronin to an Epic-W on a Movi Pro will save a few much needed lbs.
    www.thefilmguys.net
    rob@thefilmguys.net
    Red Epic-X
    Sigma Cine Primes 18-35, 35, 50, 85

About 2 years ago I did a pretty big show where we needed to shoot two cameras. I had an Epic Dragon as the A camera and An epic MX as the B. Later on 40' screen, I couldn't tell you which shot was on which camera.

As long as you are not pushing the camera outside of it's comfort zone, meaning you are lighting your scenes and you aren't asking the camera to do anything ridiculous, MX looks great.

Nick

Agree with Nick. Just completed a feature film with an Epic-W as A-cam and Scarlet-X as B-cam. When I was reviewing a rough cut, I knew that once the scenes are colour-matched, you would not be able to tell which camera is which. As long as you feed it enough light, and have decent lenses, you will have awesome results.

As mentioned before, the main issue will be the lack of support if something goes wrong. But in general it seems like the MX-sensor cameras have been pretty darn robust so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Red EPIC-W #003307 "Annabelle"

I continue to have images that clients love out of the MX sensor.

My reality is that as much as people around here are savvy about the minutiae of image, down to the atomic or sub atomic level, the average person in the street wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the highest priced cinema camera and a CCTV placed on a probe in a Venusian dust storm.

In total contrast though, the average viewer has ZERO TOLERANCE for bad sound in my experience. They'll watch any piece of crap visually and not care but will literally RIOT and BURN anything within reach down to the ground (including the entire cinema or even their own living room) if they can't hear properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Warren View Post
    In total contrast though, the average viewer has ZERO TOLERANCE for bad sound in my experience. They'll watch any piece of crap visually and not care but will literally RIOT and BURN anything within reach down to the ground (including the entire cinema or even their own living room) if they can't hear properly.

Yes!!!!
    Red EPIC-W #003307 "Annabelle"

I once sat in a studio with a famous music producer. He has sold over 60 million records world wide. When we loaded up Pro tools, I checked his plug ins and they were all plug ins from the late 90's and early 2000's!! I said BRO why don't you update your plugins ?? Clearly as we sat in his 6 million dollar studio he could have at any time. he said " these are the plugins I used to my make my biggest records, and if you compare those songs to music today they don't sound any worse, if anything to me they sound better". We laughed. My point is some amazing movies have been shot on the MX , and if you watch them today they still look amazing. The fact that newer cameras have came out doesn't change the fact that the mx sensor still can create beautiful images. the newer cameras have a ton of great new features, but if its out of your budget , get what you can afford and eventually you will be able to upgrade.

Epic MX is incredible !

Still miss mine.

Get good ND filters (or I should say, test your ND filter choices)

Get one of these and profile your scenes / camera / lens / filter

https://amzn.to/2PvY00g

https://amzn.to/2QN58K9

I recommend the pocket one so its always in your camera case

My brother and I invested in a RED One MX for our first feature that we’re editing right now. Firstly, it looks fantastic! Secondly, the camera was flawless and the only issue we had was a RED 5.6” LCD went bad on us but a quick switch to our Feelworld HDMI LCD cleared that right up. If there was one major flaw, it was that we did have to buy a heavier duty tripod and we couldn’t feasibly do too many handheld shots as I was the only one strong enough to hold the camera and even I had shakiness after a few takes. If it had been available, the perfect companion camera based on our budget would have been the Blackmagic Pocket 4K. I had thought about a Sony A7R II but we needed RAW so we ultimately stuck with the RED One MX and used a Shogun with a Sony A7S for a couple of specialty shots. If I were buying into RED today, I would have gone with an Epic X at minimum just for the best all around weight and image but used Scarlet Ws are getting to be around the same price as Epic Dragons on the used market so that makes things trickier. If you are willing to overlook the discontinued aspect of it, a RED One MX package for $2-3K wouldn’t be a bad start at all, just be prepared to lift some weight or exercise in advance lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Walton View Post
    HI All -

I'm getting ready to jump into the RED world, but like many, I'm on a tight budget. All the forums I've read all say pretty much the same thing: Stay away from the MX sensor. Buy the Dragon. MX is outdated technology. But what if the Dragon is out of my reach? I'm wondering how bad a used Scarlet X or Epic X really is? I'm looking for a camera that can generate an acceptable image - something that could be considered "competetive" in today's marketplace. Has the MX sensor fallen that far behind? Or is the image it produces still better than, say, an similarly priced Canon or Sony? I've looked at several projects out there that were shot with an MX sensor, and they all look top-quality, comparitively speaking.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Tim
    Watch 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo', that and many other films were shot on the MX chip, as well as the original RED One chip. There are also many other films shot on the MX chip. Short answer, "Yes the MX chip is good enough". There are many "Turds in pickle jars" shot on "The latest and Greatest equipment". If you don't have a good script with great Actors ... don't even bother, but if you're shooting for a Producer and Director who don't know anything ... you might have to shovel the S&*(! It also helps if you know about light bulbs and what they can be used for ...