Thread: 65mm from RED

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 65mm from RED 
    Hello friends! Very interesting .. RED will release a 65mm camera or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr Frayman View Post
    Hello friends! Very interesting .. RED will release a 65mm camera or not?
    Are you saying "interesting" because they will, or are you asking? Because no one knows anything about upcoming RED sensors.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

I just ask, I wonder know

You may have to wait till RED makes an announcement.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    I don't think it's warranted. In fact I think that R&D should go into smaller sensors, not bigger ones.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

Here's what I'll say in somewhat deliberately abstract ways.

RED took a major freaking gamble being the first to market with a larger format and higher resolution VistaVision style sensor.

This was a major gamble in two directions.

1. Resolution, it was the first 8K digital cinema camera

2. Lens selection towards the format size, not many professional options at the time VV was first shown

However, those were educated gambles. 8K holds a great deal of importance for those who are trying to deliver high quality 8K through 4K or even lower content. I don't like speaking of other filmmakers if I can avoid it, but conversely much of what Nolan has been up to over the last few years lines up with exploring larger format sizes and better fidelity towards the image quality.

The larger format is incredibly attractive to creative professionals who have been looking to explore some new horizons.

Towards the industry, I think much of this is truly needed as various film formats held so much allure and creative potential and really not until recently did we truly have format freedom.

Remember, some of the reason Monstro and Dragon VV make so much sense is having that 8K resolution in the larger format, but also covering S35 in the 5K-6K range. I love the idea of a multi-format and multi-resolution camera. This is something film couldn't exactly do as you needed different cameras to tackle those formats and film neg sizes.

To RED's credit on that gamble I think it's clear to say that other manufacturers got the memo on the larger formats. RED's two main competitors found their way into this arena in 2018.

And in 2019 you will see they also were ahead of the 8K trend by a fair amount.

Personal take though. In many ways I think VV is the sweet spot format-wise for general larger format photography. Glass options for days and really creative ones at that. 65mm-ish would also work great. 70mm full 15-perf, I'm not totally sure. I don't think many of us want to be shooting and/or lighting at T8 or beyond if we can avoid it. I've worked with most motion picture formats and for me it all sings in the 16mm through 65mm-ish range approximately.

Beyond that, I'll take my thoughts off the air as I'm loving 8K VV.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    The Gemini sensor is the closest to get 65mm and 8K. It has the best individual pixels of the sensors and, I'm not sure about the math here, but either it resolves at around 8K for a 65mm sensor, or it becomes a bit higher, able to downsample to a better 8K output.

All in all, I've been proposing a Red 65mm for a long time. At the moment, with Arri and others momentum towards higher resolution and larger sensor sizes, it's a logical step for Red to create such a sensor as the highest resolution and size sensor in the world, with the best downsample available. Using the Gemini architecture for this would be the most logical if no other photosite tech is in development.

Personally, I don't like squeezed pixels that much. I rather see a totally new sensor type with perfect 8K acquisition in 65mm than anything else. Larger photosites at 8K with 65mm would be a perfect balance in my opinion, between all the aspects of a CMOS sensor tech.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Who's to say? Only red knows. However, when it comes to the advancement of technology and evolution of art, never say "never."
    Joshua Reis
    Cinematographer
    www.joshuareis.com

here's some specs for the Larger Sensor Cameras out there

(54.12 x 25.58) max FPS 60 - Alexa 65 6K
    (36.70 x 25.54) max FPS 60 - Alexa LF 4.5K
    (40.96 x 21.60) max FPS 60 - Red VV 8K
    (35.90 x 24.00) max FPS 25 - Sony Venice 6K
    (28.90 x 15.20) max FPS 120 (external recorder) - Canon c700 4.5K
    (38.10 x 20.10) max FPS 60 - Canon c700FF 5.9K (not released)
    Last edited by Jeffery Anderson; 12-11-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Is there a market for digital cinema cameras that have even bigger sensors than the current crop? Of course - but how many?

I LOVE larger format photography, still or motion, but at some point the physics start to limit practical use cases. I can see 60 x 30 being pretty sweet, but beyond that...

Cheers - #19