Thread: GPS and/or lens metadata?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 GPS and/or lens metadata? 
    Hello everyone,

Two big questions:

1) I’m curious if there is a way to record GPS into my Monstro’s metadata. I’m working on a really interesting project with heavy CG and they are requesting that GPS be baked into the metadata. We are looking into all types of camera platforms, but it would be most ideal to shoot Monstro. I think it’s available on several consumer products like a gopro. Is there an external module that can be connected to a red and would the firmware support it?

2) I’ve also been in need of lens metadata from my Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 (Mark II). The metadata records perfectly to the Alexa Mini but in recent years has not worked with any Red Weapon, even when the lens is separately powered through its handgrip. I think it used to work back in the day with my old epic/dragon combo, but ever since the weapon body metadata no longer seems to be recorded by this lens. Also my Cabrio was recently in at Fujinon for a firmware update but that seems to have made no difference. It’s been tested with almost every version of red firmware over the years and I’ve triple checked the lens’ DIP switches to be correct, as well as testing other DIP settings with no luck.

Thanks in advance to anyone that may have any insight.
    Jeff McCoy
    1st AC & drone pilot
    2x Monstros, Alexa Mini, Leica Summilux-C set, Angénieux & Fujinon zooms, Prestons, Teradek Bolt kits, Sony OLED monitors, O’Connor heads, drones, 4x4 sprinter vans & lots more.
    Web: www.industrialdigital.tv
    Instagram: @Industrial_Digital

You can use foolcontrol to sync GPS location info into your Monstro.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwan Sheung Chi View Post
    You can use foolcontrol to sync GPS location info into your Monstro.
    Really? That’s amazing! Do you know if it will continually update or just mark the GPS of the starting location? Thank you!
    Jeff McCoy
    1st AC & drone pilot
    2x Monstros, Alexa Mini, Leica Summilux-C set, Angénieux & Fujinon zooms, Prestons, Teradek Bolt kits, Sony OLED monitors, O’Connor heads, drones, 4x4 sprinter vans & lots more.

The setting is easily accessible on foolcontrol, but I’m not sure if it will keep updating the GPS to the camera in background. Better ask Mikael the creator about how it actually works.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff McCoy View Post
    Really? That’s amazing! Do you know if it will continually update or just mark the GPS of the starting location? Thank you!

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Hello

Right now the camera only records location when you start recording (foolcontrol will continuously feed the GPS data while connected if enabled on the SLATE page

RED kindly added the per frame external metadata injest into recent FW. I need to finish the implementation and testing of this for GPS data in foolcontrol... let me know if urgent I can look into it sooner than later for iOS or Android app
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    RED kindly added the per frame external metadata injest into recent FW. I need to finish the implementation and testing of this for GPS data in foolcontrol... let me know if urgent I can look into it sooner than later for iOS or Android app
    Mikael, My apologies for the late reply. Not urgent but this would be amazing to have implemented at some point. I know my clients would love it! Would it consist of pairing an iOS device and just leaving it on and connected while rolling for constant GPS updating?
    Jeff McCoy
    1st AC & drone pilot

Hi Mikael,

I just revisited this topic with one of my clients who has an upcoming job next month. They really do need frame by frame GPS. Is this something that you will be working on in the near future? I could put you in touch with their team and see if they could compensate you directly in someway, as we cannot find any other solutions at this point.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    Hello

Right now the camera only records location when you start recording (foolcontrol will continuously feed the GPS data while connected if enabled on the SLATE page

Jeff McCoy
    1st AC & drone pilot