Thread: Lens keeps losing communication with Brain -- Any ideas what's going on?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    We had a broken board / circuit on the EF-Mount ... it started slowly (reseating the lens or remounting the lens mount helped) but after a couple of weeks we lost communication and had to sent to EF-mount to service.

Do you already sent a camera log file to your service partner? They can tell you quickly ...

best wishes and kind regards,
    Martin

Updated the firmware on all our Sigma ART lenses, and the issue is still occurring.

Our DoP has now logged a ticket with RED Support.

Additionally -- which we didn't include in the support ticket -- sometimes an error message pops up on the LCD or EVF, saying "Image Stabilization not supported on this lens.". Is this normal? Seems a bit random...

Also, I believe the lens only loses communication with the camera mid-focusing. So, if we're not trying to focus on anything, the lens and camera remain connected.

This happens with the Fool Control app, as well as the Teradek RT Smartknob.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Draper View Post
    Updated the firmware on all our Sigma ART lenses, and the issue is still occurring.

Our DoP has now logged a ticket with RED Support.

Additionally -- which we didn't include -- sometimes an error message pops up on the LCD or EVF, saying "Image stabilization isn't supported on this lens". Is this normal? Seems a bit random...
    Thanks for the news Dave. Let us know what they say please :)

I've seen the "image stabilization" warning before too, randomly (on lenses that indeed don't support IS), but it doesn't seem to be problematic. IS also sometimes takes some time to kick in on supported lenses.

Have you had it disconnect using the lens only (no Teradek or Foolcontrol)? So far I’ve only experienced problems while connected to Foolcontrol. When i put the lens in AF and use it manually it works fine. Same with MC.
    Aaron Green - Chicago, IL
    DRAGON X
    www.instagram.com/aaronkgreen

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Green View Post
    Have you had it disconnect using the lens only (no Teradek or Foolcontrol)? So far I’ve only experienced problems while connected to Foolcontrol. When i put the lens in AF and use it manually it works fine. Same with MC.
    To be honest I never use these EF lenses without RT Motion follow focus and Latitude, so I wouldn't know...

I've seen issues with the 18-35mm where the focus randomly locks itself when you pass infinity with the remote, but that one can be solved just by initiating a re-cal in the menus or switching the lens to MF and back to AF (which initiates a re-cal too), so non need to reboot the cam there. But this method won't solve the issue we're taking about in this thread unfortunately...

Our DoP has been troubleshooting this issue with RED Support since yesterday, and RED has been able to reproduce the communication issues in-house. They’re hoping to fix these in an upcoming firmware release. So, fingers crossed this gets sorted out soon.

Nils, I’d recommend you open a ticket with RED, too, and letting them know of the lens communication issues you’ve been experiencing, as I’m not sure if they’re only looking to resolve issues with specific lenses, or if this is a global fix that will resolve the communication issues with all lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Draper View Post
    Our DoP has been troubleshooting this issue with RED Support since yesterday, and RED has been able to reproduce the communication issues in-house. They’re hoping to fix these in an upcoming firmware release. So, fingers crossed this gets sorted out soon.

Nils, I’d recommend you open a ticket with RED, too, and letting them know of the lens communication issues you’ve been experiencing, as I’m not sure if they’re only looking to resolve issues with specific lenses, or if this is a global fix that will resolve the communication issues with all lenses.
    Hi Dave, great to hear that ! And yes you're right I'll get in touch with them too.

Fingers crossed !

Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLeahy View Post
    Not sure, but I was having issues on the previous build with my Canon EF lenses - every time I was pulling and getting it to "in-focus", the monitor would glitch, go extremely fuzzy, then turn on some sort of hard-edged focus (and I wouldn't actually be in focus anymore).

I reloaded firmware and it went away, though.
    That's actually a feature,
    Monitoring > Advanced > Video > Autofocus peaking.

About the bug, I've had it once too.
    It was a disaster, we were shooting with kids... I had to give everyone 10 minutes to fix it. The director was pissed.

It happened when I put the 50-100. Not recognized.
    Turned it off and on again, but it kept happening. I let it cooled for 5 minutes, and it was gone.

I noticed it happened to me only with the Side Handle on, and particulary with the Iris control. Before it bugged, the 50-100 went up to f/1.7, which at the time was odd.
    Now, on newer firmware, it's always f/1.7 though.

So far, build 7.1 is working well. I have a 3 days shoot with EF lenses starting tomorrow, I'll keep you informed.