Thread: Wireless operation of DSCM2 camera & head from 1,000 Ft.

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Wireless operation of DSCM2 camera & head from 1,000 Ft. 
    For anyone who might help.

I'm looking to remotely control my DSMC2 camera from a range of roughly 1,500 feet, and IF possible a remote head.
    This is for a wildlife shoot, so the system would need to be powered in the field for roughly 24 hours at a time.
    Fool control seems like a great solution since I'm mainly using Canon lenses.

To control the camera I was looking at two RT Latitude units to transmit covering the distance, but I was told by Teradek that it is currently not working with FoolControl.

I still haven't found a motorized head that I can operate from that distance and power for a long period of time.
    If anyone out there shooting wildlife has come up with a working system please feel free to post a response or contact me directly.

Thanks again for your help.

-Joe

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    does it need to be wireless or can you run a long cable ?
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Hi Mikael, I could probably use a long cable. It does not need to be wireless. But how would I control the camera using FoolControl?
    Last edited by Joe Pontecorvo; 12-21-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Best would be to have a camera with ethernet (JETPACK SDI or pro module on DSMC2, integrated on DSMC1) then use a long cable (some SDI + ethernet cables exist for underwater etc) up to your location and plug in a router to access the camera using wifi. You can also wire ethernet straight into a mac book pro and use the desktop version of foolcontrol.

If you need super long distamce ethernet can also be embedded into fiber connection and encoded/decoded at both ends...

RT Motion Latitude may help for the DSMC2. They claim long range using two of them. I have have no experience as I have one which I love. If you can make contact with Chris Bird there, he founded the company and was principle engineer on the system before he sold the company to Vitek, which has notoriously poor product support, but they kept Chris on after taking over. He may still be there.

I posted in another thread, currently foolcontrol long range does not work - well it works but connectivity drops out constantly which makes it useless. I tested it.

Here is an answer I got from Richard Hawks, RT Motion tech, after I confronted him with this issue.
    Nothing has changed since then. Dated 12/05/2017

Richard Hawks: „No change regarding the long range Foolcontrol. I'm not sure if data can be speeded up over the RF, I'd like to think it was possible. Need to do more testing in house when I get a chance. „

Hi Mikael,
    Would something like this work: http://www.diveandsee.com/products/connectors/DNC-2033
    So I am assuming that all the information the desktop version of fool control needs is transmitted through the Control cable, correct?
    Last edited by Joe Pontecorvo; 12-22-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pontecorvo View Post
    Hi Mikael,
    Would something like this work: http://www.diveandsee.com/products/connectors/DNC-2033
    So I am assuming that all the information the desktop version of fool control needs is transmitted through the Control cable, correct?
    yes those cable are great and can transmit ethernet + SDI. They even mention foolcontrol on that product page.
    for non underwater use you might able to find cheaper ones maybe but otherwise it's all good as long as you have GIG-Ethernet on the camera side...

you can email me for any help required when setting this up.