Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: NVIDIA CUDA RCX Public(ish) Build

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11  
    Senior Member KETCH ROSSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ITALY | USA
    Posts
    14,402
    :( :( :(

    Apple, you are on notice, I already dumped the iPhone for the Hydrogen 1...
    Filmmaker | Conservationist | Philanthropist
    ____________________________________________

    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Jared most of us using external GPU's on our newer Mac's are still on macOS High Sierra, which is supported by NVIDIA through their web drivers. Since the newer OS (Mojave) doesn't allow NVIDIA cards I don't think anyone using these cards upgraded their system. Please pass that on as there's no reason to shut out Mac users entirely, especially those still on Sierra and High Sierra (more stable OS' anyway!)

    Also, thank you to the RED team for helping us edit more easily in realtime : )
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member Michael Epple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Francisco & Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    303
    I am also in the same boat as having older Mac with NVIDIA and not upgrading to Mojave. I would like to test on my MAC.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Digital FX Greg M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    5,000
    getting near realtime playback with 8K FF Footage at full...looking forward to seeing what they can accomplish once its fully tweaked.
    www.digitalfx.tv

    Twitter
    Instagram

    RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    getting near realtime playback with 8K FF Footage at full...looking forward to seeing what they can accomplish once its fully tweaked.
    Is that with 8k FF 5:1 24fps, when yes not bad for a start.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Digital FX Greg M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    5,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Is that with 8k FF 5:1 24fps, when yes not bad for a start.
    I think it was 8:1...I can verify tomorrow
    www.digitalfx.tv

    Twitter
    Instagram

    RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Member Aris_Gavriilidis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    94
    Glad I took Jarred's advice when I asked on this forum a little while back and didn't pull the trigger on that 2018 MacBook Pro with its AMD GPU and NO support for an NVIDIA eGPU. Now, that means I am stuck for a little while longer with my 2013 HP ENVY, with its paltry GT 740M 2GB card, on which I tried this Beta and playback didn't even work. I didn't expect real time playback of my 6K files or anything, but I was looking forward to at least a very minor improvement over the current release build. If I disable the GPU it works "fine" albeit at a painful - that's an understatement - pace. Still, it's an early Beta so it's understandable, I sent some report files and screenshots to the Red team. Hopefully in the next build or the eventual release version, I'll at least be able to preview and play my files at the same speed as before until I finally upgrade to a proper, capable desktop in a few months.
    EPIC - X DRAGON #8215 "Allie"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto & Vancouver
    Posts
    3,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Aris_Gavriilidis View Post
    Glad I took Jarred's advice when I asked on this forum a little while back and didn't pull the trigger on that 2018 MacBook Pro with its AMD GPU and NO support for an NVIDIA eGPU. Now, that means I am stuck for a little while longer with my 2013 HP ENVY, with its paltry GT 740M 2GB card, on which I tried this Beta and playback didn't even work. I didn't expect real time playback of my 6K files or anything, but I was looking forward to at least a very minor improvement over the current release build. If I disable the GPU it works "fine" albeit at a painful - that's an understatement - pace. Still, it's an early Beta so it's understandable, I sent some report files and screenshots to the Red team. Hopefully in the next build or the eventual release version, I'll at least be able to preview and play my files at the same speed as before until I finally upgrade to a proper, capable desktop in a few months.
    Dang. Could you get it to work for anything (e.g. 4k or higher compression ratios)?

    Also, how does it *not* work as good as the regular one when GPU decompression is turned off?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Member Aris_Gavriilidis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Dang. Could you get it to work for anything (e.g. 4k or higher compression ratios)?

    Also, how does it *not* work as good as the regular one when GPU decompression is turned off?
    Nope, the Beta only works when the GPU is disabled. When it's on, I drop the clip in the timeline and right away, not only does it not show in the preview window, but the NVIDIA display driver stops working (I get a message) and RedCine gives me a red warning sign at the top right corner and a long list of error messages. I tried all sorts of clips, 6K, 5K, higher compression ones....nothing.

    The regular build works perfectly fine on the other hand and even with its low 2GB of memory, the GPU speeds up the buffering of the clips significantly when it's on, I did an experiment turning it off and everything gets quite a bit slower. Of course, the 740M can't give me realtime playback at any level of preview quality, usually I set my clips to 1/4 res and give it a good 30 seconds to buffer before I hit play. But it still does something when it's on, without it, buffering takes 3-4 times slower. One note I should make, I run the release build with OpenCL, which is odd given the card is made by NVIDIA, but for some reason it's faster than when I have it set to CUDA, I have no idea why that is. I tried running the Beta with OpenCL selected, no difference.
    EPIC - X DRAGON #8215 "Allie"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    115
    I tried the new beta with the suggested setting in the email with some 4min 8K clips from a project and I exported some 4K Pro Res here were my findings

    I saw via Task Manager that both my GPUs were taking more of the load, the CPU stayed around 30%. The render times were no where shorter than exporting out of Resolve (in which the CPU is taking the decoding load) which I found interesting
    Epic-W #000937 "Stone Cold Steve Austin"
    Cinematographer - Camera Operator
    Portfolio:www.vimeo.com/brandonobey
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts