Thread: Teradek ACI type interface from Red

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Teradek ACI type interface from Red 
    If youíve seen the Teradek ACI and you work with ACs most of the time, you know how cool of a tool it is. One thing that is a major drag and kept me from buying it is the need to plug it into the control port and d-tap ports on the camera. I donít understand why thatís needed when you are only getting the base model. I heard different reasons given from a few people, one saying that Red doesnít allow companies to interface with the camera over that pogo port. That might not be true, but I donít understand why it wouldnít work just like the sidekick, but way better. Does Red have any plans to come out with a sidekick version 2 that is laid out the way most modern high-end cameras are, like Arri and Sony? ACís from all over would thank Red for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Epple View Post
    I don’t understand
    It comes down to power output. The sidekick port can only push out so much juice. Anything beyond a tiny draw requires more power, which is why several side mounted accessories do that.

I believe after have a good conversation with Mark he'll make a "snug adapter" that makes the cable sort of a hard fitting.

Down the line, for DSMC3, for that side of the camera I think/hope two or three things can occur.
    1. More power delivered
    2. Full monitor support
    3. Larger Sidekick screen/interface

That way you can have your bolt on MDR, ACI, or whatever exist there without extra cables and additionally have a bigger display that can also serve as a simple monitoring device for gimbal setup and similar.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Really? That port couldn’t power a slightly larger screen set up with the three on top and three on bottom layout that has been adopted as basically industry standard? That alone would lessen the amount of complaining I hear about Red cameras, tremendously. And i’m talking about just the interface here, not an MDR or WiFi module.