Thread: Kippertie Diffusion OLPFs with Gemini?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Kippertie Diffusion OLPFs with Gemini? 
    Anyone have experience using any of the Kippertie Diffusion OLPFs (specifically the Carbon 1) with the Gemini? I'm shooting a feature in February and would love to take off the digital edge a bit without having to worry about stacking filters, constantly changing densities, etc.

If anyone has used it, thoughts on how it performs in both standard and Low Light modes?

I used a carbon 1 with gemini on a job for a few weeks in october. I think its a great pairing especially with gemini. I was mostly interested in the skin tone rendering but there is a very subtle blooming. I would say the carbon 1 effect is even more subtle than a 1/8 bpm in terms of softening but it renders color very differently than the standard OLPF. Not sure how the carbon 2 compares. I attached the only shot from that shoot I have sitting around right now.
    Attached Images

Awesome, thanks for the info. Did you notice any loss of sensitivity compared to the standard OLPF?

That's hard to say really. I was shooting in a very uncontrolled environment and felt like I actually gained sensitivity over the standard OLPF but that could have been the result of the subtle blooming lifting the shadows as there were a lot of hard direct lights hitting the lens.

Gotcha. Thanks!

I basically leave my carbon 2 in my camera at all times. Its simply perfect on RED sensors.
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Alexa Mini/Amira, RED Dragon, Monstro, Canon C500 Mark ii, C300ii, Sony FX9, FS7, UMP G2, Pocket 6k/4k, Sony A7s/r ii, Cooke Panchro Classics, Atlas Anamorphics, Zeiss Cp3, Angenieux EZ1/2, Celere HS set, Leica R Duclos set, DSO Trump series, Sigma Cine Primes, Contax Zeiss Superspeeds, GL Optics 18-35, 50-100, 70-200, tokina 11-16 PL, Laowa 24mm Probe, Movi Pro, Grip Vans, Skypanels, HMI's, Hive, Aputure, Litepanels, Litemats

Domenic, are you on Gemini, or another sensor?

Im on dragon, but same thing applies with its added aesthetics.
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Alexa Mini/Amira, RED Dragon, Monstro, Canon C500 Mark ii, C300ii, Sony FX9, FS7, UMP G2, Pocket 6k/4k, Sony A7s/r ii, Cooke Panchro Classics, Atlas Anamorphics, Zeiss Cp3, Angenieux EZ1/2, Celere HS set, Leica R Duclos set, DSO Trump series, Sigma Cine Primes, Contax Zeiss Superspeeds, GL Optics 18-35, 50-100, 70-200, tokina 11-16 PL, Laowa 24mm Probe, Movi Pro, Grip Vans, Skypanels, HMI's, Hive, Aputure, Litepanels, Litemats

I'm on helium but love my Carbon 2. There's a good thread from the last few weeks with folks posting samples, maybe try and find that. Note that Carbon requires you to use the STH emulation so your equal stops above/below for protection sits at 640. I have found that it holds onto highlights really well and I consistently rate the cam at 1000. I've gone up to 2000 without noise reduction, though we did want some texture in the video so it was fitting.
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W Helium #796

is there noticeable patterning in the bokeh?