Thread: Large format/field camera movements on Red

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Large format/field camera movements on Red 
    Has anyone tried using a Red on the back of a large format camera. The real interest here are the movements and tilt/shift features. I am shooting a lot of table top product stuff and my main lens is the fantastic 90mm Schneider pc-ts but if there would be a way to get the Red on the back of a Linhof, arca swissen, sinar or a modded Fuji GX680 I would have access to a full range of lenses and camera movements. Has anyone tried to go there or is anybody willing to share the experiment?
    The Fuji cameras can be sourced for quite cheap with 3-5 lenses that are very sharp but large format slow...

Not sure I follow you. You want to use a large format camera as a swing tilt lens on a red? Why not just use a swing tilt lens on a red?

Nick

If you are looking for more movements than the standard TS lens, perhaps try the Clairmonts? I think maybe this is what you are after -

https://www.schneideroptics.com/cent...SwingShift.htm

Nick

Martin,

Check out the Horseman TS-Pro Its primarily designed to allow shift and tilt fuctionality and it gives you the control of a field camera but not the large format. I have attached a link https://vimeo.com/35739188 of a test shoot I did with the TS Horseman and Hassleblad lenses. As this was 2010 we mainly shot with a RedOne and a few shots PU shots from the first Epic with beta FW in the country which of course crapped out and so we press ganged a Nikon DSLR to finish our day. Looking back the Red One still looks good but the DSLR shots look so bad.
    Tom Gleeson

The Schneider optics and Horseman solutions are what I try to do but at a few thousand $ per lens... The Fuji GX680 lenses on the other hand can be found for very little... and they have a very good reputation amongst photogaphers who used them with high resolution digital backs.

Martin, with REDs lens mount system it should be quite easy to adapt the brain to a LF camera. The problem I see is that the sensor is small and located deep inside, both will be very limiting for the actual use. The lenses designed for medium format or large format are not available in small focal length and will probably disappoint in optical performance. The mechanical movements will be very limited due to the recessed position of the sensor. This is from my experience from working as a photographer with a LF camera and a digital back. Might be worth a try, though. Nice work btw! Cheers, Ulf

Hello Ulf, yes I am quite aware the smaller sensor and reduced distances will be limiting. I remember going from 4/5" film to one of the early Sinar backs (23 if I remember right) everything movement became quite difficult. Still seems like a fun project to try.

Where in Germany are you?

Ha, funny. That was my first digital back, too. If you still have a LF camera lying around it would probably be the easiest way to just bolt a pice of aluminium sized for the lens mount of the brain onto a spare lens plate and use this as camera back. At leat you'll get an excellent live view ;-) Still afraid movement will be extremely limited. Keep us posted if it works! We're based in Aachen, about 2,5h Thalys train ride. We just had a H/MU Team return to Paris yesterday! Cheers!