Thread: 4SSD Drives are getting cheaper

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 4SSD Drives are getting cheaper 
    We begun using more and more SSD drives as storage for trips.

The Samsung 960 Evo 4TB has dropped a lot recently and can now be had for only 440+VAT.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Sol...amsung+evo+4tb

I use this drive and some enterprise ssd disks with a USB to SATA adapter when we are on trips. I think I will do a mixture of SSD disks and slower 2.5" disks. When you are in a hurry you can first copy to the SSDs and when there is some downtime you can transfer to the much slower spinning disks.
    Benefits with 2.5" disks are
    - Lightest media (except tape, but then you have a heavy drive)
    - Can handle power fluctuations and drops since they do not need a power supply
    - small so is easy to carry in your jacket as carry on.

Downside with the spinning 2.5 is that they are very slow. Copying 5TB could take 17 hours (!). As an example a Toshiba 14TB disk would take 8.5hours and a SSD would take less than 3 hours.

Another tip is the software Hedge, I just begun using. It lets you copy from Red to SSD disk at the same time so you basically get the backup for "free".
    /Andreas
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    www.THUNDOOR.com- Visually poetic images and stories that matter
    Epic X #3734, CF Weapon Helium Strummer Bright Tangerine, Sachtler Video 20 S1, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000

What sort of realtime offload speeds you getting? I'm very interested in a solution like this
    I've got a black belt in keeping it real!

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    We begun using more and more SSD drives as storage for trips.

The Samsung 960 Evo 4TB has dropped a lot recently and can now be had for only 440+VAT.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Sol...amsung+evo+4tb [...]
    The price I see when I click on that link, almost 800, is nearly 2x the price you quote.

As for spinning disks--they are slow, but if you RAID them, they get a lot faster. My QNAP RAID (8x 12TB He disks) is fast. But I cannot slip it into my pocket.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Hiya Giles,
    Which harddrives are you thinking of? The SSDs or the spinning disks?
    She spinning disks are about 120MB/s write speed to start with. When the drive is close to full they drop to around 50-60MB/S (only done one test for this).
    The SSD disks are around 450-500MBs write speed. I can double check. This is faster than the Red drives which are around 330MB/s so the red drives will be the limiting factor here.

When you copy to 2 disks at the same time it seems a bit slower, but not that much. I can do an exact test when I got another USB-Sata controller.
    It is important to test both the sata controllers and USB cables, they can really be different. Also some computers can drive the SSD disks with no extra powers, but some computers cannot. It depends on how much Amps the laptop can provide. Apple usually have strong power in their USB but our MSI also works with no problems. Very important to test all drives with all computers, it is a pain. Also I will bring extra controllers in case one breaks.

The way I would do is I first use only the SSD disk when we arrive in the evenings. Then whever there is some time at camp, then I begin moving to the spinning disks. When they have been moved over then I delete them from the SSD disks. I do not like to do backup over night with the primary backup but with SSD to spinning it should be fine since if it fails then you can always keep doing it the following day.

Right now we have 2x4TB SSD Disks. they are enterprise and were not cheap when we got them, 1900 then we have a larger number of 4TB spinning.

Now we will probably upgrade to
    4-6 SSD Disks. 6 disks mean we would have 12TB+backup SSD. That would probably last 1 week of shooting.
    Then maybe have 10x5TB 2.45" so 25TB+backup.
    Total is close to 40TB of backuped content. Should last for maybe 1 month shooting.
    You could potentially also use Toshiba 14TB enterprise 3.5" drives. But they need external power and are harder to take in carry on. But they of course has great capacity and more than twice as fast to write to.

If one needs to be away longer I would consider bringing a tape drive. It is the cheapest way to store data, but the drives are very heavy at around 5kg so not really possible to bring in carry on luggage. That means if they lose your luggage or something get damaged you suddenly have no media with you. I have a data list with media and calculations for ofloading, weight comparison etc that I can mail to you if you send over your email.

Cheers
    Andreas
    Epic X #3734, CF Weapon Helium Strummer Bright Tangerine, Sachtler Video 20 S1, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    The price I see when I click on that link, almost 800, is nearly 2x the price you quote.

As for spinning disks--they are slow, but if you RAID them, they get a lot faster. My QNAP RAID (8x 12TB He disks) is fast. But I cannot slip it into my pocket.
    I double checked, it still says 470+vat for me here in UK.

Raid is fast but I dont think I would want to use it for backup, at least not if one is traveling longer. I guess an 8x with say Raid 10 would be a good solution, but tricky to carry on an airplane. We are always maxed out with our lenses and camera in carry on.
    Andreas