Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RANGER Custom Rental House Camera

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Oechsle View Post
    1) How does this camera solve any reliability issues?

2) Why don't you just build more of them? If you want only rental houses to have the RANGER to be in favor with them, then just say so instead of pointing towards the price. The Alexa LF is way over 100 grand and companies still buy it.
    It says it´s not for sale. So possibly just something the rental companies get to lease. Reson for such tactics can be unlicensed gear inside, as it´s very different build a camera and rent it out then actually selling the same camera, as then you need to license the parts used.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

So in reading Jon Fauer's great interview with Jarred about Ranger and the reasoning behind it I now understand the value for rental houses and I also have come to the feeling that I don't want Ranger.

I think Ranger helps make ACs happy and form a system closer to DXL2 and Alexa. But I love how I can strip my Monster to almost nothing and run around with it. I so welcome the development of the Ranger but I am not a rental house. I am a DOP who loves having a Vistavision camera in a package that would make Alfred Hitchcock salivate.

So great job Jarred and Red family my ACs are so happy

Yep -- the Ranger has specific benefits for Rental houses that are servicing crews. Will be easier for them to efficiently prep and also use on set. Will be easier for us to maintain and keep in fighting trim. There is nothing 3rd party on this camera. Let that sink in. For a rental house that is extremely helpful.

We will definitely still be keeping some Monstros for when we need the cameras to be as small as possible. And we will lean on lots of 3rd party bits (as we have been doing) to help the tiny camera shine.

Ranger is the result of RED putting considerable effort over a long, long time into hardware that will help us support the cameras on large crewed sets. We totally appreciate that level of responsiveness from a manufacturer.

One last thing -- the Ranger is very very well set up for the shoulder: best camera RED has made in that regard by a long shot. Put a couple Shape handles on it and away you go.
    Regards,
    Paul Engstrom

RAW CAMERA COMPANY
    boutique image services
    www.rawcamera.com

RED Monstro/Helium ARRI LF/Mini SONY Venice PHANTOM 4k Flex
    Premium Lenses and Support: Leica, Zeiss, Cooke, Baltar, Lomo, Elite, Fujinon, Sigma, ZERO, Arri, Oconnor
    https://www.rawcamera.com/equipment/

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Yes. First week of Feb.
    Was this ever released?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Likely not Brian, there's a big difference between consignment and the concept of various levels of a RED Authorized house, which even goes down to camera support. This is not a one to five body commitment, though I can see some angles in smaller markets perhaps where that might work personally.
    My understanding is that a rental house needs to place a minimum of 10 Rangers. I don’t know why 10 people can’t just pool their funds together and buy them? As jarred mentioned it’s a cost issue that’s prevents these from selling a la carte.

My only question - did they use ST-Ranger Things for Season 3 ?

RED had a rollout of Ranger at RSH yesterday. So sad that I missed it. It is my understanding that some rental houses have some already.

Am looking forward to seeing it. A part of me would love my Monster to look like that but I also love my tiny little package of powerful image creation!

Quote Originally Posted by emil_h View Post
    My understanding is that a rental house needs to place a minimum of 10 Rangers. I don’t know why 10 people can’t just pool their funds together and buy them? As jarred mentioned it’s a cost issue that’s prevents these from selling a la carte.
    I think this carves out an exclusive rental market for rental houses so they don't feel like they are competing against owner/operators. It also standardizes a comprehensive build for them. But I'd guess the first part is the prime directive. I don't see how this can also be sold to individuals, no matter how large a group gets together, when that will clearly dilute the exclusivity factor.
    ---
    Nikhil Kamkolkar
    Writer/Filmmaker: http://www.IndianCowboy.com
    Latest action short film: "LAILA" https://www.facebook.com/thesuddenco...7155058905721/

Had a play with the Ranger last week at Take 2. Neat little thing and nice to have the option of having a RED that is non-modular. It makes sense for productions renting from one rental house to the next.
    Cinematographer, London
    Scarlet-W

www.joshbirchfilms.com
    Reel: https://vimeo.com/290364493

Quick question:

Now that the ranger is shim only back focus are there shim packs available for normal mag PL mounts?
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram